Chapter Fifteen

Whenever Zakari had to be paired up with someone in class for any assignment, his partner was usually Franklin as he was the only one that was able to communicate with him outside of using parchment and quill. However, Franklin often encouraged the professors to place Zakari with other students, he had no problem translating back and forth as it was all part of the job. He knew the boy needed social interaction with the other children, it was unfair to just stick him by himself to work. Some of the children didn't seem bothered at all to work with Zakari and seemed fascinated by the fact that the boy spoke with his hands. But there were a few that obviously made the situation uncomfortable as they just stared at him or refused to say anything while they worked on assignments.

Potions seemed to be the easiest class for Zakari to work in as he was able to really work independently as it required for him to read the majority of the time and add the components to the potion. He didn't have to worry about spells very often in the class, making it much easier for him to work. The only problem he faced was when Duncan would climb onto the chair to observe the boy's work, sniff the potion and end up snorting loudly. Several times he had knocked over Zakari's cauldron by accident causing the other children in the class to giggle, while Professor Snape glared at him and Duncan.

While Zakari didn't notice as he kept his head down mostly while he worked, Franklin certainly took note of how closely Professor Snape watched the child. He was certain that all the professors were aware of who Zakari's father was. He wondered if that's why Snape watched him so closely, from what Franklin heard from Dumbledore, the boy looked very much like his father. The man couldn't help but wonder what the scene would be if in fact, Roderick Lestrange had been released from Azkaban and planned on returning home. 

He wasn't sure how Zakari was going to handle meeting a man for the first time in his young life or even how Liz was going to react now that her husband was freed. That's if she even let the man have anything to do with her child in the first place. She didn't seem like the type that would allow her son to be around a convicted Death Eater, she seemed all too protective over Zakari.

Franklin was just going to have to wait and see.

But little did he know that the father and son had already met once before.

Zakari shook his hand as it began to cramp after leaving the class of Gilderoy Lockhart one afternoon. The strange flamboyant man was the boy's Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, but he didn't seem to hold the qualities and traits of the other professors to young Zakari. More than often, Zakari found himself confused with what Franklin translated for him. The man seemed to go on and on about his accomplishments rather than discuss Dark Arts. They had to write down facts of Professor Lockhart which confused the child even more as there were so many that seemed incredibly far fetch.

Franklin excused himself to go use the bathroom leaving Zakari and Duncan to wait on him in the corridors. They were going to meet up with Eve and hopefully Jean in the Great Hall for lunch afterwards, as long as Franklin didn't take his sweet time going.

Zakari leaned against the wall as he looked down to his canine companion. Duncan's little bum wiggled as his tongue hung out of his mouth. Attempting to play, Duncan grabbed at the child's pant leg and began to tug which only brought Zakari to laugh as he tried to ignore him.

His back was pressed up against the wall, when he suddenly picked up on vibrations behind him. He jumped, alert to the feeling that sailed through his body. Duncan stared at the child before looking direction at the wall. Zakari leaned closer and then pressed his hand against the wall, quickly picking up on movement behind it.

Franklin returned only to come across Zakari moving at the end of the corridor, his hand pressed up against the wall as he walked slowly. He followed the boy until Zakari reached the end where all the halls split, leaving the child in a state of confusion as he glanced around.

He tapped Zakari on the shoulder, causing him to jump and spin around.

"Are you okay?" he signed to the boy.

Zakari looked around once more before turning back to the man and nodded his head. However, before going to follow the interpreter, he looked back at the wall once more before dropping his hand to his side.

As the two males walked towards the Great Hall, Duncan turned around once more, looking over his little shoulder, making a little huff sound before running off after his owner.

"Roll over." Zakari motioned to the dog as they sat outside with Eve later on that day once classes were over.

Eve watched in amusement as the dog sat down.

"No." Zakari shook his head. "Roll over."

Duncan bowed playfully.

Zakari scratched the top of his head in confusion before turning to Eve and shrugging his shoulders in defeat.

Suddenly, Duncan was up on all fours and raced over to the tree, trying to climb up it while barking. Eve looked at the dog before following his and Zakari's gaze as it trailed up the tree.

Resting on the lower branch was a crow, making the girl suddenly feel uneasy. She had heard all the rumors of Zakari being the Death Eater's son. However, she didn't believe it as Zakari seemed all too sweet to be the son of a Death Eater. She gave a slight shudder before she grabbed her parchment and quill to tell Zakari that she wanted to head back inside, but as she went for the quill, the crow moved.

Zakari remained still for a moment as he felt something land on his shoulder. He turned his head slowly and caught sight of the crow, who was calmly perched right on him.