Chapter Thirty Nine

It didn't take Zakari long to figure out that Ron was attempting to apologize to him. The red haired boy frantically waved his arms about, with a look of despair on his face, but while Ron panicked over the boy's reaction, Zakari just focused on getting back to work. Their lost progress was setting them back, which meant it would take them longer to get to Duncan and Harry. Not to mention, they still hadn't come across Ginny, which only made Zakari even more eager to clear a path. The chilling message had been enough for all of to venture into the tunnels beneath the school, if they were willing to put themselves into danger, they at least had to return with results.

Focusing his attention on the rocks and his hands, Zakari turned his back to Ron and attempted to move them about. The rocks didn't budge as they had done earlier. The boy let out a frustrated groan and stomped his foot to the ground angrily. Suddenly, a great deal of the rocks moved aside.

With a raised brow, Zakari turned to Ron, who's mouth was wide open, staring at the sudden progress.

"Do it again," Ron said. "Stomp your feet, clap your hands, whatever...just keep doing that!"

Zakari stared at him blankly, unsure of what Ron had just said. Ron suddenly began stomping his feet and clapping his hands, looking like a raving lunatic. Reaching a hand across slowly, Zakari placed it on Ron's shoulder, attempting to calm him down. He believed that Ron was having a nervous breakdown.

Ron became still as he found his head being pet by Zakari in a calming manner. He remained still for a few seconds, while Lockhart began to hum in the background, swaying back and forth.

"Bloody hell," Ron muttered," what did I do to deserve this? I rather be with the spiders right now."

Rather than continuing with the petting and being serenaded by a delusional Lockhart, Ron removed Zakari's hand and pointed to the rocks before stomping his feet again. With a smile and a nod, Zakari turned his attention back to the rocks and stomped his foot.

More rocks shifted to the side, clearing a small path again. Ron cheered happily, while Zakari began clapping his hands in excitement. However, as the boy did that, Ron felt the walls and ground shake around them. He quickly jumped forward and held Zakari's hands together, the shaking came to a stop.

"Okay, no more of that or we'll wind up buried alive down here."

Duncan shook beneath the still girl's robes as he heard all sorts of commotion around him. The ground shook beneath the corgi, bringing him to peek out. When he did, he instantly regretted it as he caught sight of a massive snake, making it's way around. He quickly returned to his hiding, pressing his body on the girl to keep her warm. Her skin was freezing against his belly, and he had attempted to wake her up several times by licking the side of her face and her hands but she didn't stir.

When he barked at her, she didn't even flinch, but he could sense that she was alive by the heartbeat and faint breathing. Whenever the mystery boy that was in the chambers with them made his way over to where he and the girl were, Duncan bared all teeth. His hackles were straight up, and he barked a couple of times to ward the boy away.

However, the boy sneered at him before promising that the giant snake would take care of him next.

Before the commotion began, a rather large bird appeared with a screech, dropping down a hat. Duncan stared at the bird, in slight disbelief. He had heard from Zakari that birds were supposed to be smart, but at least he would have brought a stick to help Harry, not a hat.

But Duncan was proven wrong as the bird clawed the eyes of the large snake, leaving it blind before it came to settle by the dog and girl.

While Harry ran about, he went for the hat, leaving Duncan puzzled as to why the boy kept going for the hat, but when a sword for out, the corgi realized how much sense it made. He had to get Zakari a hat to keep the boy safe especially if he was going to keep hanging around this crew. Duncan let out a bark as Harry shoved the sword through the roof of the mouth of the snake.  The snake was close to death but not before one of the fangs sunk into Harry's arm.

Duncan barked encouragingly, trying to get Harry to keep fighting, while the mystery boy smirked in triumph. Harry seemed to listen to the barking as he grabbed a hold of one of the fangs and stabbed it into a book.

The corgi was just about confused by everything happening that evening, as ink began to pour out of the book. He was not going to let Zakari anywhere near books once they were out of the tunnel.

Suddenly, the girl beneath him began to stir and Duncan was left conflicted over who to tend to, her or Harry as Harry was slowly collapsing to the ground. The dog barked in the girl's face to bring her to a fully conscious state sooner. As she began to move about to sit up, she seemed wildly confused to find him sitting on her chest, but he didn't stay with her long. He ran over to Harry's side as the boy looked pale, his eyes struggling to remain open.

Letting out a small whine, Duncan nuzzled the boy's ear and licked Harry's cheek. Zakari was going to be incredibly upset to find out his friend was hurt. He tried to encourage Harry to sit up but the boy was too weak until the bird made it's way over.

Tears dripped from the bird's eyes directly onto the boy's wound. Duncan didn't understand the significance of the hat, but it seemed to help plenty of times. He ran over and retrieved it, bringing it over to the boy and setting it down on him.

Harry appeared to be moving about more and he was gaining color back in his face. Duncan stared at the hat.

Magic was weird.