⚜10⚜

I was unable to put my plan into action for next Friday. I was awoken to a jolt in the vehicle, and I fell off my bunk. Lola was giggling at it, Mika sleepily sitting up at the commotion. No Ferid.

"You alright?" Colette asked, hauling me to my feet. They seemed to move easily through the moving vehicle. "Yes..?" I muttered, uncertain myself. She hit me roughly on the back, securing the cloth covering her art. "We're heading to the last stop in America, right?" Mika asked groggily, head now resting on the foot of his bed. "Mhm! New York City! Then we're going to England!" Lola said cheerily. 

 Guess she's a morning person. "Yaaaaay." He groaned, flopping back upon his pillow. He pointed an index finger down at her, though. "Happy birthday, by the way."

Oh. How did I forget that?

A long drive meant lots of boredom. Which, in Mika's case, was sleeping or annoying the hell out of everyone. Lola climbed through a sky light in the roof, and came back an hour later with a milkshake and bracelet. No one seemed to question it, because the answer was blatantly obvious. She climbed into the open window up front, where I was told Ferid had gone.

 He was the one driving us. 

 He was tolerable, although I still held a sliver of hatred towards him.

Mika and I had found entertainment in watching how Colette played cards with herself. She switched between several personalities- one of which was Lola's, apparently- that knew the contents of each small pile of cards. When she switched, she seemed to have no idea what was going on previously. That explained her obliviousness to the butterfly on her shoulder the night I was taken.

 She switched personalities that night. "I don't know why she doesn't play with us, it would be far less tiring." Mika commented, leaning over. I nodded, noticing the hand mirror she looked into after every turn.

"She can usually change personalities through her reflection, the full length mirror is best for imitating movement. That's why she used that one for the shows. If she already knows them, only a hand mirror is necessary." He explained.
"We don't know what she was experimented with. I think a type of shape shifter, and she says a mutt of creatures." He muttered, eyes narrowing. He didn't like her calling herself a mutt, the feeling likewise with me towards him. I have heard Mika call himself a monster. I knew the ringleader had abuse going far beyond physical.

 He has trained the two of them to believe that they were merely as they were presented.

 An imitator and freak of nature.

"Hey," Mika said, flicking my forehead gently. I flinched back into reality, meeting his gaze. "You went away for a minute. What's wrong?" He asked. I shook my head, refusing to tell him my ridiculous thoughts.

"Yuuichiro, you need to start being aggressive towards Mika if you want him to open up." Asuramaru said. That is where I noticed he didn't necessarily have the understanding of him I had. "You can't be too harsh on him with things like this. You have access to my memories, so compare those to present day Mika. He's not the same. But, even if he was, I wouldn't snap or bite. I'm going to give him the space to decide whether or not he wants to tell me what happened, and what's hurting him. Although I'm certain you were right on it." I explained, leaning against the metal wall that buzzed behind me from movement. Mika had wandered off when I had begun speaking. "Okay, shut up for a while. I need to update my friends." I mumbled, pulling my phone from the outlet. I was puzzled as to how we had electricity and plumbing in here, until Lola explained that it was just a really large RV that was disguised as a delivery truck.

"What the hell do you mean by that?"

 "Exactly what he said, airhead." I heard Kimizuki sigh.

"Okay, so, first, vampires and demons exist. Good to know. Second, you're going to New York." Mitsuba summarized everything. 

"Right." I nodded.

 "Y'know, the ringleader sounds like a huge asshole." Yoichi commented

. "Yeah. I've gotten that vibe from him, along with the whole 'forcing Mika to do stuff and beating him' thing." I shrugged. I watched him talk to Colette, who was currently sketching on the wall. 

"I hope you come back soon. Your mom's driving us crazy." The typically energetic friend mumbled. "I'll make sure to keep her updated, then. I've been too busy to talk lately."

"Yeah, we heard your act's fucking amazing. Is that right?" Shinoa asked. 

"Nah, not really. Pretty average."

"Like hell I know." I shrugged.

 "So you don't know anything, as usual." Mitsuba chipped in. Collectively insulting me. My friends and the voice in my mind.

"Okay, I'll be going." I announced.

 "Bye!" All four of them cheered in unison as I hung up. Lola was looking at me curiously. "Your friends sound interesting." She said. 

"You would get along with them." I told her, placing my phone down. "They're very... Lively, to put it loosely," I explained, Mika jumping up onto his bunk above me. "Wake me up when we take a food break." He said. Apparently, he sleeps a lot. I would too if it was the only thing to do. I poked my head up next to his, poking his cheek slowly. "Psst, Miikaa," I whispered

"What." He groaned, one eye opening. I dangled my phone in front of him, watching the other eye open slowly. "Wanna watch Netflix?"

That is how I ended up crammed into Mika's bunk with his head in the crook of my neck, both of us intent on watching the entirety of Doctor Who. He seemed very interested in the concept of time traveling immortals. As usual, no one else gave commentary on what we were doing except for Asuramaru.
"Y'know, technically, you guys are cuddling." He pointed out.
Be quiet, it's getting to a good part.

"What, you finally making out with Mika?"
No.

"Give me one of your fries." Mika ordered, taking one anyways. We had taken a break temporarily to eat. Lola got a Tres Leches, which she praised dramatically in order to get a chuckle out of Ferid, which satisfied her. The door was open for us to see outside, watching the cars pass by without paying any mind towards us. We all sat on the edge with our legs dangling. It felt nice, having the cold wind against my feet. Colette had shoes on, Lola wearing slippers.

 We stayed like that until we were all finished, and the doors locked us back in. The two of us returned to the bunk, curious as to how the episode ended. And the next. And the one after that. It never seemed to end. 

After a long while, we both fell asleep, the phone falling from my hand, gently on the mattress, arm still lazily over Mika's shoulders. Our legs were tangled up, packed together tightly in order to avoid very awkward and uncomfortable positioning.

In the morning I was the first to get up, and had to wake Mika up as well. He begrudgingly rolled over, grumbling about how he actually got a good night of rest and I deprived him of it.

Neither of us took shock in what would be a compromising situation to others. It seemed normal to us.

It was a sign that we were regaining the relationship we had before, if not better.

Very slowly, but the signs were there.

Like pages of a story turning, my best friend long taken from me was returning.

I felt it.