Chapter 8-Black Apologies

Hebion's funeral was held the next day, and the clothing of the woodland elves changed from the usual green or brown to black.

Catalina put her black dress on, one of the many black pieces of clothing she owned. She wore no jewelry, except for her locket, and she dared not meet her own eyes in the mirror. Guilt plagued her and she fought back tears back as the lump in her throat continued to grow.

Hebion had left behind a mother, father, six siblings and a young wife. They went past Catalina and gathered in the front of the crowd. The elven army and the guards congregated around them in an enormous circle, all waiting for King Thranduil to give the last words before Hebion was buried. The crowd silenced as the elven king drew himself up and stood at the front of the crowd.

Catalina didn't hear any of the words he said, she watched his lips, but her mind didn't allow her to appreciate any of the things he said.

The speech ended and the king placed his fist over his heart and everyone did the same, and bowed their heads.
After the crowds dispersed and Hebion was buried, Catalina walked over to the late soldier's wife.

"My Lady, I am very sorry about your husband. I-"

"Save your sympathies Asgardian." The wife's voice cracked in anger. "Your apologies are unable to bring him back to me." She swung her hand at Catalina, and slapped her across the face. Catalina merely stood, shocked. "You killed him," the female elf snarled, her voice caught everyone's attention. "Your kind don't care! You have not the slightest knowledge of what it feels like to lose the dearest person in your life! You so called 'gods'! You do not care!"

Gasps rippled through the few elves that were still there, and Catalina could feel eyes on her.

"My lady, please do not take this out on the princess. She was the one who tried to save him." Legolas put his hand on the wife's shoulder, trying to calm her down.

"She tried; they say she is a goddess. Well Prince Legolas, she did not try hard enough." She spat at the Princess's feet as her parents-in-law led her away.

Catalina turned to leave, the lump in her throat on the verge of bursting. But she showed no emotion as she walked swiftly away, giving the path her hardest stone cold stare.

"I am surprised she did not retaliate." Veryangole expressed about the princess as he paced the king's room later that day. "Why didn't she say anything? I was sure she would do something. Perhaps she is planning the widow's demise." The advisor thought aloud.

King Thranduil sighed in frustration, "she knows what it is like to hurt Veryangole." He said, pouring himself a glass of wine.

"But a princess of Asgard would never know the hardships of Middle-Earth."

The king turned his far off gaze to the window.
"Perhaps, but you know nothing of her."

"What do you know of her?" Veryangole asked, suspicion and curiosity taking the place of his ego for a moment.

"Things that her heart has yet to recall." He said.

******

Catalina laid in bed, the canopy curtains drawn and the room dark. She stared at the picture of her brothers, yearning to be back in Asgard in the warm embrace of he big brothers.

If only she had acted faster; if only she had used one of her powers; if only Hebion had held on for just a moment longer; if only.....

Catalina heard the door open and the light turn on. She figured it was just Iellwen.

"Princess, I'd like to have a word with you."

Catalina froze and her eyes widened. She was not expecting King Thranduil at this hour.

"My lord?" Catalina buttoned up her dress and clipped her locket back on. She drew her curtain back and stood up, hoping that the king wouldn't pay any attention to her messy hair, her bare feet, and short front cut night dress she wore to bed.

The king stepped forward an inch, "I want to apologize for Hebion's widow's treatment of you. Her actions were unjust."

"I can't blame her," Catalina shook her head, nervously fingering her locket. "She was right that I should have tried harder. If I had, he'd still be alive."

"If only's cannot reverse what has already been done. They can only teach and prepare us for what is to come." The elven king watched Catalina shake her head. "There will always be death, and new life. Some are preventable, others unstoppable. In the case of Hebion, you did what you could to save him. You mustn't be sorry any longer." He looked for her gaze, but she did not give it to him.

"I'm sorry but I do not believe that My Lord." She almost shivered when she felt his hand grasp hers, and a note placed in it.

"It is from the widow." He turned to leave, "I would like to thank you, Princess. You've proved to be a good warrior and a friend to my son." His eyes smiled at her as he left.

Catalina quickly opened the letter, and read it. She closed it, and gulped. She knew what she had to do.

The widowed elf opened her door to find Princess Catalina standing there, letter in hand. She bowed low to the princess, but Catalina shook her head.
"You don't have to apologize."

"No My Lady, you were so kind to me. I did you a terrible wrong, please forgive me."

"You're husband died yesterday; I could never blame you."

"But please, I hope I could gain your favor," the elleth said, her eyes glassy.

"You have my favor, it is I that must gain your favor."

The elf burst into tears and threw herself into the princess's arms.
Catalina stayed with her until she had regained her heart.

"Thank you my friend." She hugged the princess, and watched her leave.

Catalina smiled as she climbed into bed. She had learned the meaning of using kind words. Her mother Frigga had taught her that in certain situations, kind words turned away wrath. Catalina closed her eyes; her mother had taught her well. And because of it, she had made a new friend.