Chapter 10-Different but The Same

Catalina stood alone in the stables, looking at the animals that occupied it. The stable was one of the warmest places in the woodland palace, aside from the throne room itself.

Snow was still falling outside, and Catalina had quickly become bored in her room. She figured that she would rather not be near the snow; she'd hate to really find out if she was a Jotun or not. The unlikelihood of it seemed to be oddly dwindling now, so Catalina resolved to not lay her eyes on the snow until she felt she could think about it clearly. Although she knew her mind would still wander back to it, and it did.

A small nudge and a whinny woke Catalina from her daze. She turned and met the big, soft brown eyes of one of the royal horses; Veryangole's horse. Catalina smiled and stroked the velvety muzzle. It reminded her of her own horse, Colborn, back home.

"Excuse me Princess?" Veryangole came behind her and frowned. Catalina looked at him and began getting up.

"I apologize Veryangole, I didn't kn-"

"Veryangole?" The elf asked, and began to chuckle to himself. He blushed a little and rubbed the back of his neck. "My name is Feren, My Lady. Veryangole is my brother." He smiled shyly.

"Oh, are you twins?" Catalina's face brightened.

"Yes, I am the younger."

"So am I; Loki is my twin." Catalina gave him a smile.

"Yes, I know. I've heard a lot about you." Feren walked up to the horse, "he's beautiful isn't he?" He asked, looking at the horse.

"He is. He reminds me of my own horse back in Asgard. He's so gentle." Catalina touched the horse's white star on its forehead.

Feren sighed, "I know. It is a sad thing that he will go to war one day, and Veryangole will be riding him. I can merely hope that day never comes." He patted the horse's neck. "Have you seen the king's ride?"

Catalina shook her head and followed Feren down the row of stalls. He was so much different than his brother, who was rude and stuck up, but Feren was shy and polite.

"How does one decipher between the two of you?" Catalina asked, trying to find a difference in the twins.
"I have brown eyes, he has dark blue, it is very hard to tell, I'm afraid."
Feren looked a bit sad as he shot a quick glance at the princess.

"Anything else?"

" Save for a slight voice difference, not much else. We were born identical." He said as they reached an unusually large stall.

"Wow," Catalina peered in awe at the creature inside, and it looked back at her. Its antlers seemed to be just as long as a good sized horse, and its hooves were the average Clydesdale's hoof size. It let out a high pitched bugle, and Catalina smiled. The enormous elk blinked at her and turned away.

"He's gorgeous. I'd understand why he would be the king's ride. He's perfect." Catalina looked over at Feren.

"Isn't he?" A sarcastic tone sounded behind them, and Feren suddenly turned around to see his twin brother at the stable entrance, his arms crossed. Catalina turned to see him looking at her with a very disapproving look.

"Why are you two standing around gawking about? Feren, you should be-"

"I was relieved of my duties for the day." Feren replied, "Veryangole, aren't you supposed to be in the throne room?"

Veryangole was taken aback for a moment. "Why no, I can do as I please until I am sent for. And what is she doing in here with you?" He gave Catalina a scrutinizing glare.

"Nothing you should worry yourself over." She said.

"Well you're not allowed-"

"I do as I want Peasant!" Catalina retorted, realizing how much she sounded like Loki when she said that.

"I am no peasant, Child," he hissed back, his eyes narrowing. He suddenly remembered what the king had told him. "Fine, you do as you want, but I would like to have a word with my brother. Alone."

Catalina looked up at Feren, and he reluctantly nodded to her. She left the room and shut the stable door behind her.

"Why are you so hateful toward her?" Feren asked roughly as he headed for the door.

"She does not know who she is, and she believes she can rule everyone. Even our own king." Veryangole grabbed his brother by the collar to stop him.

"I'm sure that is an exaggeration. She simply wants to befriend people. She is a sweet girl."

"The spitting image of her twin brother." Veryangole growled. He stabbed a finger at Feren, "and if I catch you with her again I will-"

"You will be one insult away from starting a war. When that day comes brother, I will not be fighting at your side." Feren pushed Veryangole away from him and left the stables.

Veryangole sighed and looked around the stables. He thought about the report king Thranduil would be sending to Odin in a few days, and he closed his eyes and grimaced. Oh, what disparaging thoughts.