Chapter 35- Family Sins

Catalina stood in the middle of her old room, a meager amount of sunlight slipping through the heavy curtains. She stood looking at the nearly empty room: the mattress stripped of it's linens and every decoration upon the dressers and walls gone; everything that showed evidence of her being there was gone.

"I have made arrangements for your things to be returned to their places. After your escape, Odin ordered everything that was yours be hidden away. The servants should be bringing them any moment now." Loki stood next to his sister in the center of the room. Her silence ill suited him, so in an attempt to lighten the mood, he nudged her gently with his elbow.
"Do not look so down my dear sister. Life is better here, and without Odin, you will have nothing to fear."

Catalina nodded and went to the window. Asgard stood still below the castle, and for a moment she wished to believe her brother's words. Yet she knew, in this place, she would never be safe again. This place was not her home, though it seemed she was welcomed back.

"Catalina!" The gasp of the queen made Catalina turn around quickly, and though she did not wish to say it, a stifled mother left her lips. She ran to Frigga, throwing her arms around her. The queen held her daughter, softly whispering words in Asgardian to her.

"I'm sorry Mother...." Catalina swallowed hard, trying not to cry. It seemed she had cried so much the past months, she did not want to anymore.

"There's no need to be sorry. I'm simply glad you're home." Frigga brushed her daughter's cheeks with her hands and kissed her forehead. "We'll start anew my dear." She smiled. "We'll pick up where we left off." She hugged her and brushed the twins' cheeks with her fingers, then left.

"Chin up Catalina," Loki lifted his sister's chin up with a forefinger and thumb, then followed his mother out.

Catalina watched him leave, then turned to the window to hide her shame as the servants brought her belongings back into the room. Their eyes stared at her back, their disapproval written in their eyes as Catalina observed them from the window's reflection. No matter how Loki assured her, Asgard would never forget.

*****

"I have been thinking," Loki began as he sat on one of the sofas that had been brought in a few moments ago, "of making you queen."

Catalina turned abruptly around to face her older brother. "How do you mean?" She knew her brother loved her, but not that way....

"Not the way you are imagining Sister. I apologise if I made it sound... Odd." Loki's cheeks turned a bit pink.

"Odd indeed. Please explain." Catalina went back to untying her boots, though somewhat uncomfortably and self-conscious.

"I just thought possibly, since Odin is not on the throne, you could take Mother's place for a while."

"Why would I need to do that? I am trouble enough by being here. People would never approve, and they may get the wrong idea." Catalina kicked off one boot then the other and sat down heavily onto her bed. Her brother stood up and knelt down at her feet, taking her hands in his.

"Catalina, I need you. I realize your attachment to Midgard, but you must forget it now. I need you to sit on the throne. Ruling Asgard is harder than it seems. I need assistance."

"Hasn't Mother helped you?"

"Oh tremendously-"

"Then she'll stay on the throne. Loki I cannot take her place. I am not worthy of her throne."

"But you are worthy of the Elven Throne?" Loki's green eyes sparked at her, the twins' tones raising for dominance.

"No. Not even the Elven Throne." Catalina replied and got up. A cold hand around her jaw stopped her, her brother's cold fingers tightening as she tried to pull away.