Chapter 33- Passion and Aggression

Mirkwood buzzed with the rumors of the king's relationship with Catalina, and the duchess herself was getting tired of hearing about it. Iellwen had been giving her odd looks, and Veryangole's attitude was getting to be a problem, to where even he admitted to being cross. Legolas seemed to be getting along fairly well, although he showed signs of being slightly bothered.

"Thranduil, it is too much, I knew this would happen," Catalina crossed her arms and leaned against the bed post. "They hate me because I am not an elf, and Veryangole is getting on my last nerve."

The king calmly came toward her from across the room. "Do not let them look down on you; you have more authority than they do, and anything you say, I shall do."

"That's the problem Thranduil-"

"I am king am I not? I will do as I please. They do not understand that you shall benefit the kingdom greatly when you are queen, not to mention your great impact now."

"Am I that valuable?"

"We have had this discussion Manwathiel, stop doubting yourself." The king placed a kiss on her forehead and caressed her cheek. "You will be my queen in due time."

Catalina smiled up at him. He gave her confidence, but it still bothered her to know people were staring at her. The king must have sensed her doubts still, so he took her to the stables.

"Get on," he led her to her horse and she mounted.

"Where are we going?"

"For a walk is all," he replied.

"My lord, you are needed in the throne room," Veryangole appeared at the stable door.

"No I'm not Veryangole," replied the king as he mounted his horse. "Please leave."

"My Lord Thranduil, it is an urgent matter that needs your immediate attention-"

"It can wait an hour," the king, knowing his advisor's tactics clicked to his horse and walked out the door without looking back, expecting Catalina to follow.

Yet, Catalina stayed behind, and dismounted. "Veryangole, do you think you and I can solve whatever rivalry there has been between us? It's been going on for too long-"

"Child, you have nothing to say to me." Veryangole snapped at her.

Catalina, her green eyes flickering, stayed as calm as she could. "Well, if you expect to resolve anything, it would be best if you would discuss it with me face to face."

"Indeed...." Veryangole growled, turning his eyes away from hers. He had expected an outburst of Asgardian pride and profanity, which he had carefully listened to from her older brothers while in Asgard, but no, she was smarter than that. The elven man bit his lip, now wondering what to say, after all that time coming up with insults and hate to throw at the girl once he had the chance.

"Veryangole, get away from her, I am at my last nerve with you-" the elven king, upon coming back into the stable after quickly realizing his love was not following him, was stopped by Catalina's hand, palm pointing to him.

"I'd like to hear what he has to say," The duchess said softly.
There was silence as Veryangole tried desperately to fish into his memory all of the things he wanted to say. There were too many words, too many emotions. He couldn't express them in words.

The elf suddenly lunged at Catalina, hands reaching for her throat. The duchess was stunned for a moment, not knowing what to do. She knew he disliked her, but she never would have guessed this. She gasped for breath and clawed at Veryangole's eyes, driving her knee into his side. Thranduil's hands then grabbed onto his advisor, tearing him away, then slamming him against the wall.

"What in Valar has gotten into you? Have you gone mad?" He yelled and shook Veryangole by the collar.

"I could have killed her, I could have...." He seemed to chant in regret.

Catalina stood up, her heart racing. She wanted to apologise, to tell Veryangole she was sorry for whatever he hated her for, but it seemed nothing she could do would change him.
A group of guards led him away, his eyes still turning back to glare at the duchess.
"I'm sorry," She whispered.

Thranduil watched them go, then turned to her.
"Did you say you were sorry?" He asked, anger and confusion hinting in his voice.

"Yes." Catalina still looked on at the closed stable door.

"There was no need for you to apologise Manwathiel." The king sighed and tried running his fingers through his long hair, but stopped midway. "He will no longer be a burden to us."

Catalina shook her head. It seemed unfair, not knowing what had caused Veryangole so much hate. She wanted to know, to fix it, to make everything better. She wanted his friendship, wanted to one day pull a smile out of that cold, dark soul of his.

"Thranduil, please don't banish him." Catalina hung her arms around the king's neck, her big green eyes pleading with him.

"Why not?"

"I have to figure it out. I have to find out why he hates me so." The duchess laid her head on his chest and listened to his still fast heartbeat.

"It will be a waste of time-"

"He's your friend isn't he? Isn't a friend worth time?"

"No." The elven king said and took Catalina's arms from off his shoulders. "Not him. Not anymore. A year ago possibly, but now, no. I have tried reasoning, I have tried everything. He is too far gone." He turned back to Catalina, knowing what she was going to try. "I forbid you to leave me." He led her back to her room and shut the door behind them.
"Manwathiel, I have been through too much to simply let you leave because of him. Do not think about him anymore; put him out of your mind." He rubbed his temple and leaned against the door. Sometimes he wished his love had not tried to please anyone. He wished she did not care about what anyone said but him. That fantasy was not realistic though; Catalina had such a viridity about her that she wanted nothing but approval. She only wanted to be accepted, and he could not blame her for it. He looked up to see her still standing, her eyes looking upon him guiltily. Oh, how terrible she made him feel.

"Oh my darling," he whispered, putting his arms around her. She seemed not to hold any emotion; she leaned against him limply, as if she had been defeated in battle. He realized it then: life, to Catalina, was a battle that had to be won. Friendship was something that was naturally aquired, and love was the ultimate prize. Yet it seemed to Thranduil that Catalina's battle was different. It was harder, it did not go as planned, and strategy - as useful as it was- simply did not work.
Allowing his eyes to stray for a moment, the king caught sight of the old music box that sat alone on the dresser. Reaching for it, he wound it up, and watched as the little horse turned in time with the music. Catalina lifted herself from his embrace, listening to the song.

"Do you remember that?" The king asked.

Catalina remembered the day it was given to her: delivered to her room by an unknown guest soldier, who had placed it gently into her palms, and smiled as she wound it up and listened to it. He had told her the words, had taught her the song, and she had never forgotten them.

"Veryangole...." Catalina swallowed as she recalled it. Sent by King Thranduil, Veryangole was the soldier who had given her the music box. He had smiled at her, had been so kind. It had not been his twin, Feren, no, it was Veryangole. "You were the one who sent it?" Catalina looked into the king's blue eyes.
He nodded.
Catalina slid her hands around his neck once more.
Thranduil, hoping to relieve her of her heartache, kissed her softly as the music took them both back in time. Life had been simpler then, friendship easier, and family just about the same.
Catalina resolved then, to try her hardest, no matter the tears, the hate, to win Veryangole back. To win that kind man back. She no longer gave herself the choice.