Chapter 15-Valadhiel, Queen of Mirkwood

"Why is she here?" Queen Valadhiel asked Thranduil as he spoke to her in her room.

"I told you why she is here," Thranduil stood by the window and put his hands behind his back. "She is staying here so that Asgard's alliance is secure."

"Why could you not have chosen an alternative to her?" The queen asked, equally upset as the elven king.

"Because she is the only way."

"Is she?" Asked the queen, who crossed her arms and sighed as her son rubbed his forehead in distress. It had only been a day since the queen had come back, and she had begun to find fault with the princess of Asgard.

"Yes." The elven king defiantly refused to accept an alternative to Catalina. "I am not going to send her away. She belongs here." The last part slipped out, and Thranduil bit his lip. He had not meant to say that in front of his mother, who sighed and sat down in one of the large arm chairs.

"I cannot force you. I cannot even ask anything of you. I have been away for too long. I have not the right to request anything of you." She looked up at her son: tall, lean, blue-eyed, blonde-haired and beautiful. "You look like your father when you're angry." She smiled and stood up, touching the indent in between his furrowed eyebrows. Her fingers caressed his face and he closed his eyes as she kissed his forehead.

"You can ask anything of me, and I swear that I will listen. You are my mother." Thranduil said and hugged her. "But I cannot send her away."

Valadhiel sighed and cupped his chin in her hands, "you are king; do not let me dictate your life. You know what is best."

Thranduil nodded, and kissed his mother on the cheek.

"I love you my son. Please never forget that."

"I promise that I won't."

***********

Days passed without a word between the queen and Catalina. But even without words, Catalina could see a mysterious knowing that the queen showed. She would look at her with icy blue eyes and a blank expression, that showed more than any expression at all.

Catalina was uncomfortable within the queen's presence, and as soon as dinner was finished, she would excuse herself and leave the dining hall.

"You do not like her?" Asked Legolas after dinner one particularly quiet night.

"It's not that, I simply do not like being under eyes that do not approve of me."

"They approve of you, I do not see any reason why they shouldn't. What would give you such an idea?" He leaned on a wall and crossed his arms.
"I'm not sure," Catalina shrugged. She didn't know why she thought it. The queen simply gave her the feeling that she hated her.

"Princess, may I speak with you?" Queen Valadhiel emerged from the door, her long grey skirts dragging behind her.

Legolas bowed and left the balcony, leaving Catalina alone with the queen.
"You wanted to speak with me my lady?"

"Yes," the queen stepped next to Catalina. "I wanted to apologize for my rudeness and ignorant silence the past few days."

Catalina smiled, accepting her apology. They stood in the night for a while, not a word exchanging between them. Catalina listened as she heard the trees swaying, singing a song of the night.

"My son has taken a liking to you." Said the queen suddenly. "You know that don't you?"

Catalina looked over at her, "no my lady."

"No? Well I suppose you have never had a man take such a shine to you," she made a subtle gesture toward Catalina's form, her chest and hips: insignificant.

"I don't believe that My Lord would ever like someone such as myself." Catalina had seen the gesture that the queen had made, and she confirmed her suspicions.

"I did not think so either, but yet, here you are."

"I am not here because he likes me, if that is why you think I am staying here my lady." Catalina folded her hands in front of herself, willing to stay calm. "My father sent me here to keep the alliance between Asgard and the elves strong."

"Oh I see, he did not tell me that part." The queen turned her eyes downward and looked over the balcony at the darkness. "I apologize yet again. It has been ages since I have been here that now I do not remember how alliances work." She shook her head, "you will have to be patient with me." She said sadly.

"I will my lady, don't worry." Catalina smiled slightly and looked where the queen's eyes were turned.

"Marinalgar is a place where people forget." The queen said, her voice quiet and far away. "The ocean washes you away, along with the past; and yet, now, it seems clearer than if it had happened a minute ago." She said. "I suppose one must stay forever to truly be rid of the past."

"One can never be truly rid of it. It still happened," Catalina whispered, knowing still that the queen had heard her.

"I know, but it is still a luxury to fantasize." The queen smiled, and she realized that she had no need to dislike the princess.

"Yes, " Catalina looked into the darkness, wondering how it was possible to ever forget, and why anyone would want to forget. She knew of nothing that she wanted to forget, but of course, some people were different.

"I'm sorry," the queen said again.

"Don't be my lady, I understand."

The two royals smiled at each other, their rivalry over.

"My lady come quickly, the dwarves have escaped the dungeons!" A servant rushed toward Catalina and the queen.