Chapter 31- You're Not the Only One

Mirkwood was dark, and since the return of his son, captain of the guard and commander, but no Catalina, King Thranduil had been in a fit of hysterics. He was panicking, and enraged at her for running off.

As his elk trotted along the dark paths, his eyes searched frantically for Catalina's figure.

"My lord, do you think she's ended herself? I hear it is common for warriors to do such things-"

"Veryangole shut your filthy mouth or I will end you." The king snapped at his advisor. His eyes began darting all around, hoping to see Catalina bounding back toward him, unharmed, a mischievous sparkle in her eyes.

As leaves crackled underfoot, Thranduil listened intently for the sound of Catalina's soft breaths. A breeze ruffled his hair slightly, and the sounds of the trees could be heard.

She's lying inert on the forest floor.
She's lying inert all alone.
She recalls the wounds,
left to bleed and foam,
She cries for her sister,
She cries for her brother,
She cries for her king to bring her home.

Thranduil listened, scanning the area. His breaths began to quicken, and he dismounted his elk, and in desperation, began running through the forest searching frantically for Catalina.

"Catalina? Catalina? Manwathiel?" He stopped at the entrance of Mirkwood, where the statue of the late queen stood; and there, at the foot of the statue, lying crumpled on the ground, lay Catalina. Thranduil rushed to her and fell to his knees beside her. He gently cradled her cold body in his arms, searching for her heartbeat and pulse. "Manwathiel, speak to me," Thranduil cupped her cheek in his hand. 

"Thranduil?" Catalina's soft voice called. Thranduil let out a sigh of relief and hugged her to him. 

"Why did you run off?"

"I - I didn't mean to, I'm sorry- I didn't know...." Catalina trailed off as she looked back up at the statue. 

"Don't worry, you're alright now. Let's get back now...." Thranduil looked up to where her eyes were turned upward. "You found her." 

Catalina nodded, tears glistening in her green eyes. "Why didn't you just let me die?" 

Thranduil said nothing as he heard the sounds of horse's hooves. Veryangole came up, leading the king's elk along with him. 

"My Lord?" 

"Go back Veryangole, leave my elk here."

Veryangole hesitated for a moment upon seeing Catalina, but nodded, and left. Once he was out of earshot, Thranduil turned back to Catalina. 

"I loved you. I would not live with myself if you had died. I'm sure that day would have been my last if you had." 

"But Eluriel—"

"You did all you could. There is no changing the past."

"You don't want me," Catalina began to sob, the pain of the blade and her sister's death making her break. "You don't!"

"Yes I do," Thranduil held her close to him, stroking her hair gently. "Amin mela lle. Remember?"

Catalina cried into him, recalling that phrase of so long ago. For the first time, she understood how much he wanted her, she knew her own love for him. They were no longer visions of strange things; they had become real, tangible feelings.

"You never forgot me..."

"Not for a moment Manwathiel." Thranduil closed his eyes and buried his face in her hair, breathing her in, trying to remember the girl he had fallen so hard for so long ago.

Catalina remained still for a long while, allowing Thranduil to hold her.
"You taught me how to fight...." Catalina smiled, watching the figures dance behind her eyelids.

"I was wondering when you would remember that," Thranduil kissed her forehead. "I don't believe I ever will understand your style of fighting, but I'll admit it works."

"Ehehe..." Catalina fidgeted in the king's arms.

"What is wrong?"

"We had better get back My Lord," she said, avoiding his eyes.

"As you wish Melamin." He said and offered her his hand.

****

"Why do you avoid me Princess?" The elven king found Catalina in her favorite spot under the weeping willow tree reading silently.

"I am not a princess, if anything, you should be calling me duchess."

"You didn't answer my question Duchess." The king came to lean on the tree next to her.

"No comment...." Catalina sighed and got up.

"No, don't you dare leave," the king grabbed her arm. "Tell me Manwathiel, I've found doubt in your eyes."

Catalina swallowed and looked down at his hand on her arm.

"Does it really matter who I am? Will you love me if you know?"

Thranduil frowned, "why no, of course it will not matter. It doesn't matter if you are of Asgard—"

"I'm not of Asgard!"

A short silence followed, and Catalina wished to curl up under a rock and die on account of the look the king was giving her.

"What are you of then?"

Catalina sensed his nervousness, and she hesitated. This would change everything if he knew, but she had to tell him.

"I am of Jotunheim. I am a Frost Giant." She turned her head away, expecting either denial or anger. Only silence followed.

"Show me," his voice whispered. He touched her face, "you have nothing to fear Love."

Catalina closed her eyes. She felt her skin change, she felt her body turn cold, and tears rolled down her cheeks. She loathed herself.
Suddenly a warm touch stroked her cheek, and an embrace held her tight.

"My Love, why did you never tell me?" The king's deep, soft voice asked.
"I was afraid you would not think of me softly any longer..."

"Dry your tears my love and look at your king."

Catalina opened and wiped her eyes, and looked up at Thranduil. She met a different face. One side was still her love, but the other side was scarred and burned.

"Thranduil...." Catalina touched his scarred face.

"The dragon...." He said. "I would assume that is where yours came from as well?"

Catalina nodded.

"You saved my life that day," the king brought her close to him.

The pair remained silent, holding one another, Catalina taking in the fact that she was no longer alone, and that, even though she was different, he would still love her.