unsafe.

sometimes i feel unsafe. this is a small town, you know. a small town full of small people looking for something ripe for the taking. 

sometimes i am just scared. sometimes i resemble a forest fire more than a girl, my eyes are matchbox flames bleeding charcoal and acid. sometimes this town is too small and i walk through the down town trying to find a brick wall that doesn't look so painfully familiar. 

other times i feel like im running on some kind of psychedelic high, induced by some kind of hallucinogen that hasn't even been discovered yet. and everything is buzzing and buzzing and im tripping and falling hard and fast- 

sometimes i feel unsafe. sometimes the size of my life is confined to a square of yellow caution tape, a street blocked off by police cars, divides of red and blue lights blinding the eyes of passerby's. sometimes i am a bulletproof window, sometimes i am an uncrackable safe, sometimes i am indestructible and concrete and alone in solitude. 

sometimes i feel like the bright lines on cracked pavement, the ones my feet ran over time and time again because i was curious if they'd lead me out of this small, small town.  i count back numbers from ten because that is what you are supposed to do when you feel unsafe- though, when i open my eyes im just looking at the same brick wall i've seen again and again.

this is a small town. everybody knows everybody and i wonder if thats what really scares me. 

"He wouldn't do something like that." 

"I know that girl, she's a liar." 

sometimes i feel unsafe, because in a small town like this there is no room to trip and fall into an alleyway and no way to climb out again without tripping over the confines of caution tape or come face to face with one more brick wall in one more alley way. 

yes, indeed-

sometimes 

feel 

unsafe.