Prologue

"Mommy! Daddy! Good morning!!" I greeted

"Good morning dear!!"

They both ran and hugged me.

"Happy birthday!~"

The two of them kissed my cheeks making me giggle.

"Hehe! Thank you!"

Dad hoisted me up and put me on his shoulder.

"So, ready for today's activities?"

"Huh? But dad, mom, don't you have work today?"

Even though they wouldn't tell me what it was,i know its a busy job.

"Today is our rest day dear."-dad

"Yes, we can get to spend the whole day with you. So name whatever you want today" mom smiled

"Really?! I can have anything?!"

"Of course!"

"Then..um...I want to go to the amusement park and then have a picnic there! Then at night, we'll watch the starry night sky!"

The two of them chuckled.

"Okay,
dear. Now, go and take a bath" Dad ruffled my hair and settled me down

Mom put her hand on my shoulder.

"I bought you a new dress, dear."

"Really?!"

"Yes, it has a strawberry bracelet along with it"

"Yay!!! Thank you so much mommy and daddy!!"

I ran back to my room and took a bath. I wore the clothes they gave along with the bracelet. Mom braided my hair in a fishtail braid.

And in no time, we were at the amusement park. Dad bought the ride all you can tickets.

We practically rode everything in here and ate in the famous picnic spot during lunch.

Mom made all my favorites. A strawberry shortcake with my name engraved using chocolate icing, japanese rice balls, curry and milk tea.

Before we left the amusement park, we decided to rest on a bench

"So joanna. Are you ready for your present?"

"Yes daddy!"

"Close your eyes" mom said

I did as she said. Then i felt something get shoved in my arms. I opened my eyes and saw...

"Woah!!! This is the limited edition barry the strawberry stuffed toy! There's only 15 of these in the whole world!"

"Well we know how much you love strawberries s-woah!"

They didn't have the chance to continue because i hugged them.

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou!"

They laughed whole heartedly. The 3 of us chatted. And i was smiling because this is the best day ever.

When we got home that night, the moment dad closed the door,dad and mom got hit on the back of their heads. Losing consciousness in the process.

"Mom! D-" i got hit too

When i woke up, i saw that i was chained to the table.

"W-what...why...where..."

"Oh look, the little brat is awake"

I turned to look at the face of the criminal. And in his arms...is my dad, all beat up and bloody.

"DAD! What is happening?!" I cried out

"Its okay honey, its gonna be okay..."

"No it won't! You all are gonna die! Unless, you give me the information i'm looking for!" He pulled out a gun and put it to the temple of my dad's head

"NO! DAD! LET HIM GO!"

I struggled.

"Give me the files."

"...never"

"Tsk...wrong answer"

"DAD! NO! PLEASE! DA-"

The sound of gunshot was heard. Dad's body lay limp to the ground. His blood slowly soiling the floor.

"AHHHH!!!! DADDD!!!!!! NOOOO!!!" I screamed and cried

"Shut the fuck up!"

He slapped me using the back of his hand. I glared at the murderer with tears and hatred in my eyes.

"Oh, is that a sign of defiance?..heh, kids like you need to be punished..."

He went towards the fireplace and pulled out some sort of metal staff with a star mark at the end.

He started walking to me with a sinister grin "i am going to mark you"

"N-no...get...get away from me..."

He pressed the hot metal to the side of my stomach. I started screaming in agony for the pain was too much. After what seems to be like an eternity, he pulled the metal away from my body. Leaving a star mark on my body.

"There. That should do i-" the guy got shot and fell down

"Joanna!"

"M..mom?..."

She ran to me and started unchaining me.

"Its gonna be alright dear, its going to be okay"

When i was freed, i hugged her.

"Mommy, dad is...dad is.."

"Shh...shh...i know...i know...but its going to be-"

Bang!

I saw my mom pull away with a surprise look and fell on me, weak.

"Mom?...MOM!!"

"*cough cough* that bitch...how dare she shoot me..."

"MOM! NO! STAY WITH ME! STAY WITH ME! PLEASE!"

I saw the man point his gun at me. I closed my eyes, waiting for the darkness that was going to consume me.

But it never came. Because the sound of sirens was heard and the man fled the scene.

I cradled my mom in my little arms. "Mom!mom!"

"Dear joanna...i'm sorry...we couldn't..."

"Mom! No, please!!" I cried harder

She took off her necklace and handed it to me.

"This necklace...is very important...this will guide you to your everday life...she will tell you...everything..."

"Mom! Help is on the way! Please--" i choked on my tears

"We love you Joanna...forever and always..."

And then...she went limp. I cried and hugged my mother's lifeless body.

At that moment, i swore to catch my parents' murderer. No matter what happens.