008

"YOU ARE NOT BROKEN. YOU ARE NOT AN ITEM THAT WAS SHATTERED INTO PIECES. YOU ARE NOT AN UNSOLVED PUZZLE. YOU DO NOT NEED ANOTHER HUMAN TO FEEL COMPLETE. YOU ARE JUST TRYING YOUR BEST TO FIND YOUR WAY."

DIFFICULT wasn't the proper adjective to describe how hard it was for George and Fred to keep ALPACA a secret from the nosiest sixth years otherwise known as Angelina Johnson and Katie Bell. They rarely had time to discuss the plan. It was becoming oddly suspicious as Fred started distracting the friend group for George to stalk off and disappear and then he proceeded to make excuses for him.

At the moment, Arden was waiting in the library for George so they could study. She held a letter in her hand, from her father of course. She was reading it over and over in her head, creating a headache.

The letter read:

"Dearest Arden,
I am thrilled that you are having a good year and staying on top of your classes. I am pleased that you have become good friends with George Weasley, though I am not so comfortable with the idea of you going to the ball with him. Call it fatherly instincts, but I know how hard it was for you to open up to this...boy but you aren't obligated to attend a school dance with him. Your conditions are difficult for a simple student like George Weasley and I'd hate for him to get the wrong idea and possibly lash out at you for something you cannot control. The consequences of having him as your date can be extreme and I don't want you to lose a friend over something so silly.

Arden, sweetheart, I want to remind you that I do not regret meeting your mother and having you. I do wish it was under different circumstances so that your conditions weren't this way. But I do not regret you. I am grateful that your mother brought you into my life. You are my light, darling.

On a different note, I promised to reveal the woman I was seeing and who her child is. Her name is Wendy Jordan, and you may know her child Lee Jordan. If you do, I really hope it isn't awkward. His mother will be informing him later, I suppose, but I wanted to tell you sooner because you're my best friend, Ardy.

Sincerely,
Dad x"

Arden could barely comprehend the letter. It was so simple, she understood the words, but she was still rereading the letter.

Of course Arden told her father about George being her date to the Yule Ball. He was her best friend, just as she was his. He was wrong about George being a simple student though. She knew he would understand her circumstances if she explained it to him, but she was starting to grow worried about his reaction. What if her father was right and she lost George because she was unable to love?

She was conflicted. She didn't know if she should tell George or not. Her options were few; wait until the ball to tell him or tell him when he arrived to study. On one hand, she could have a little while longer with George before his man-ego was wounded and he shunned Arden. Or she could tell him in five minutes and possibly have him stand up and leave.

Inside, Arden knew that both of those possibly happening was slim. She learned about George; about who he was and how he acted. Her influence on him was great too— he began standing up for what's right and he stopped using bigoted terms. George was respectful and smart, and above that, a fucking great person. So really, she didn't need to worry about him leaving her, but she did. The what-if's echoed in her brain and she was about to pack her stuff up and just leave.