036

"TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THAT YOU ARE
THE LAST PERSON TO DESERVE PAIN."

HARRY Potter walked quickly through the corridors. Eyes followed him, as he knew they wondered where the Boy Who Lived could be going with such urgency. He scanned around cautiously as he understood the dangers of running a secret organisation dedicated to the Defence Against Dark Arts. Yet it was necessary due to Dolores Umbridge's ruthless reign.

In the corner of his eye, he noticed Arden Gosse walking towards the library with a somber expression. Poor girl. Harry heard of all the things she's been through recently; how she was outed as being conceived under the influence of a love potion and therefore couldn't love anyone, how her father was murdered trying to protect her, how her best friend disappeared and tried sending her to another country for safety, and how Voldemort intended on hunting her down to have her under his control. It was tragic, and Harry understood tragedy.

The stressed boy took a slight turn and called Arden's name out.

"Oh, Potter! Nice to see you."

Harry smiled slightly, but it was hard to not be awkward.

"I think we could be on first name basis by now. After all, we're both targets."

Arden let out a soft chuckle. Despite how awkward the teen was, she couldn't help but admire his attempt at opening up. Harry decided that he'd be awkward for the rest of his life.

"Fair enough, Harry. Is there something I could help you with?"

Harry glanced around to make sure no one was snooping around them — something that he wouldn't be surprised by. Umbridge recently created a club dedicated to hunting down rule breakers and, more specifically, Harry's club.

"Yes actually." The boy looked once more. "I want you to help instruct my club."

At this request, Arden's smile faded.

"I know, George already told me your concerns. But to be frank, I could not care less about what that pathetic excuse of an administrator has to say. We already have targets on our backs — hell, I am the target. Your skill and intellect would be a massive help to our organisation. Plus, Hermione is starting to get a little annoyed. It would do her some good learning from a future auror like you, anyways."

Unfortunately, Arden was still unconvinced. "I appreciate the offer and kind words, but I'm afraid that I will only lead you to the end. You've been awfully careful so far, and I would hate to destroy the progress by adding suspicion. Hermione couldn't learn anything from me if she wanted to, there isn't a thing she doesn't know."

"That's where you're wrong. They'd never see us coming. Also, nobody has studied as much as you have. Hermione admires you, as do many other members. You'd be doing us a tremendous favour. You've read more than anyone in this school. You wouldn't make the target any bigger. Just think about it, okay?"

Arden nodded and watched the younger boy walk away. She checked the watch on her wrist and turned to walk to Umbridge's office. Detention was part of her daily routine, it seemed. you

Right as the hand hit the number 4, Arden was stepping into the pink office adorned with cat decor. In the corner stood Leviathan, a frown already etched into his face. His purpose was to make Arden want to follow his footsteps.

"Ms. Gosse! On time as usual. Do you recall why you're in today?"

Arden shrugged. She never used her voice because she knew it annoyed Umbridge.

"You will speak when spoken to. We saw you with Mr. Potter today. Do you care to share your conversation with us?"

Another shrug.

Leviathan watched with a grimace as Umbridge began tormenting the girl. He wished she had just listened to him and fled.

"Enough." He suddenly spoke, making Arden's head snap towards him. It was always the same reaction — she had missed his voice. Umbridge looked at him quizzically. "I need to speak with her alone, The Lord's order. Unless you want to hear from him, I suggest you stop and step away. We can't have her too weak when she swears in."

Immediately, the plump woman sauntered out of her own office, standing outside the door in case the young man decided to make any plans.

Arden slowly stood up, her knees nearly bucking from exhaustion. Leviathan watched as she took shaky steps towards him before throwing her arms around him. He tensed at first, glancing at the cats watching, before hugging her back.

"Levi, I've been so worried. What does he do to you? Are you okay? Is your mother okay?"

The tall wizard looked at his best friend with concern and confusion. She just endured torture and she was more concerned about his wellbeing.

"I'm fine. It's you that keeps me going. You were supposed to be in another country! In another continent! Arden why didn't you listen?"

The younger girl lowered her head. "I couldn't leave. He would've came for me anyways. That's why you're here. He wants you to collect me. What is his plan?"

"We're his line of defence. He uses our common inability to love to gather us. He trains them to become relentless and twists our morals. If we can't love, then we have no remorse for killing people. He's already got an army of about 18 others like us."

"What does he want with us?"

A sigh left his lips. "He considers you powerful. You dedicated your entire life to knowledge. He wants you for your intellect. He wants me for my skill. He believes that together, you and I, we're unstoppable."

Leviathan put a hand to Arden's reddened cheeks. "Stop getting in trouble. Stay low. I cannot bare to continue seeing you in so much distress. Trust me when I say that you are the last person to deserve pain."

With a blink of an eye, the wizard was replaced by clouds of smoke and Arden was escorted out. She slowly walked towards the infirmary, where George Weasley waited. His eyes softened as she saw her, and he stood up to meet her.

"It's never going to end." She whispered to him, feeling his arms wrap around her. "Not until he has me. He's not giving up."