032

"THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO BUT BURY MY LOVE FOR YOU."

THE home was eerily quiet for once since Arden first entered Sirius Black's house. Everyone was asleep, as it was well past midnight– everyone except for Arden of course. The girl was very sleepy, as always, but she was determined to wait up for George. He hadn't returned home and she was growing worried, but she couldn't do anything but wait for him. She listened intently for either a pop signalling he apparated home or the opening of the door.

Staying awake was growing to be difficult for Arden, so she stood up and went to the kitchen to fix herself a cup of tea. As soon as she set the kettle on the stove the door swung open and she heard some stumbling. Immediately she rushed to the hall and found George, whom was a spluttering and drunken mess.

His hair was disheveled and his eyes were droopy and red. The Gryffindor furrowed his eyebrows in confusion at the sight of Arden, opening his mouth before closing it and then reopening it. "How? I saw you off to the plane! What are you doing back here?"

Arden closed her eyes tightly in embarrassment; George was being loud and she didn't want anyone to wake up. Many of the teens were trying to get their sleeping schedules back together in time for school that started in just four days, so George waking everyone up at 2:46 AM wasn't exactly something she wanted.

"I changed my mind, George. I couldn't leave you in a time like this. Besides, dropping out right before my final year isn't something I, or my father, would want."

George didn't seem pleased with her answer and turned slightly, frustratingly mumbling incoherent phrases under his breath. "Goddammit Arden! It's not safe for you here!" He dragged his fingers down his face, aggravated.

The petite girl just shrugged before reaching her hand out for George, muttering something about tea and keeping quiet. Defeated and oddly sobered up, George placed his hand in Arden's palm and kicked his shoes off before following her through the living area into the kitchen.

Silently, Arden made two cups of tea. She glanced over at George, who was sitting at the table and biting the skin of his thumb whilst in deep thought. He then switched to hold his head in his hands, pulling at his hair slightly. Knowing his headache in the morning would be killer, she got him a glass of water along with leftover dinner.

Just as Arden placed a steaming mug in front of him, he spoke. "You shouldn't have come back." He whispered, looking down at his drink. "He's going to come after you."

"That isn't a silly romance novel, George. He would've come after me regardless of where I go. And you can't stop me from staying." Arden replied, taking George's clear plate and washing it in the sink.

The ginger grew agitated but not to an extreme; he understood his family needed to sleep and despite where the conversation was headed, he didn't want to argue with Arden.

"You're so, ugh." He muttered. "The one thing I ask from you Arden... I just wanted you to be safe. I'm not asking for you to love me or even do this for that reason because I know you can't, I wanted you to go into hiding because I love you. I can't stand it to see you hurt, because you've done nothing to deserve it."

He watched as Arden pursed her lips. "Does your mother deserve it, George? How about Ginny? Charlie? Do any of your relatives deserve it? No, and you don't expect them to flee the country. You told me I was a part of your family now, and a part of this family is the way I will fight. I'm sorry you don't see it as this way, but I rather die closer to you than somewhere like Bora Bora or Toronto."

Before she even finished her tea, Arden dumped it in the sink and then went upstairs to her bedroom, leaving George conflicted in the kitchen. Hundreds of thoughts ran through his mind: Did she feel anything yet? Why was she so intent on fighting alongside us? How could she be so calm about this all?

Once again feeling defeated, George rose from his seat and followed Arden up the stairs. He waited five minutes outside her door to give her a chance to change into pajamas before he quietly knocked and walked in.

Inside the bedroom, Arden was sitting on the edge of her bed, looking up at George. She silently exhaled as he walked closer to her and then sat down. The two were silent for a moment, acknowledging the tension between them.

"Can you–"

"No."

George sighed, running his left hand through his already disheveled hair. Again, it was quiet. The monotonous clicking of a nearby clock was filling the silence before sniffles joined it. George looked down at Arden, eyebrows furrowed and twinkling brown eyes filled with concern.

"I want to. Merlin I want to so bad. You're everything George, and every morning I wake up hating myself because I can't love you the way you love me. If I was able to love then my dad would still be here and you wouldn't be in this... in this predicament. It's so unfair to you, George. I'm so sorry I'm like this."

The red haired boy didn't reply immediately; instead, he studied Arden, baffled at her small speech. She was genuinely overwhelmed and saddened by the fact she couldn't love George, and in some way, that felt like love.

Arden didn't love George the way people expected, she'd never be able love him the same. But she loved him in the only way she knew how, in her own special way. She loved him as much as she was capable and that was the best he'd ever get and she'd ever give.

"I don't mind." The freckled boy finally said. "It's not your fault. I love you, Arden. And I know you told me on the first night I walked you to the tower to not fall in love, but I couldn't help it. You're an enigma of some sort and, Merlin, you're breathtaking. It was difficult for me not to fall in love and Merlin knows I tried not to."

He leaned down and placed a kiss on her forehead before wrapping his arms around her and holding her close.

"I don't deserve you." Arden mumbled.

George chuckled, his chest vibrating in Arden's ear. "I can't think of any reasons why you don't deserve me."