009

"WHO GIVES A FUCK IF YOU DANCE AROUND YOUR KITCHEN IN YOUR UNDERWEAR OR IF YOU SING OFF KEY OR IF YOU EAT THAT CUPCAKE. AS LONG AS YOU'RE HAPPY, WHO GIVES A FUCK?"

ARDEN'S heart dropped. She could feel her heart plummet into her stomach and the air was taken from her lungs. George read the letter. He read the letter in which her father talked about him and about her curse and about Lee Jordan. George had to know even if Neil Gosse didn't specifically say Arden couldn't love anyone.

"I'm sorry!" George blurted, his ears turning red in embarrassment.

This was it, Arden thought. This is when he's going to tell her he cannot be her friend anymore and walk through the doors and out of her life.

George brought her back to reality as he began rambling about how the letter fell out of her pocket and it was open and he caught his name and grew nosy and just had to read it. Arden furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"It's fine, George." She interrupted. "I would've done the same, but..."

"But what?"

Arden inhaled deeply, looking away from George's concern-filled eyes. "I just thought you were apologising because you didn't want to be my friend anymore."

George's eyes widened. "What? Why would I do that?" He watched as Arden shrugged, fiddling with her fingers. "Arden, I'm your friend. And honestly, I consider you one of my closest friends. I wouldn't leave your side for something silly like your dad dating Lee's mum."

The Ravenclaw's mouth opened in shock. George seemed to not know about her condition, but he had to! He read the letter and George wasn't an idiot. He's heard the whispers in the halls, he's heard Harvey's warning. The boy was so smart and he figured things out with ease. There was no logical reason why he wouldn't be aware of the fact she was born under the influence of a love potion.

"You know." She whispered in realisation; George was only pretending.

Solemnly, the freckled boy nodded. "I wanted to hear it from you though." He said quietly, staring at her with his hazel eyes.

She didn't meet his eyes. She couldn't. Instead, she just took a deep, shaky breath. "I can't love anyone." It was barely audible, but George still heard it.

Oddly, it hurt him. Physically. He felt a twinge of pain in his chest and he couldn't explain it. It was only a slight pinch in his chest, but it still hurt.

Before the students could continue their conversation, Madam Pomfrey scampered over and checked Arden's vitals and such. She handed Arden a few tea bags meant to help her sleep and reminded her to drink water frequently. Then, she shooed them out and told them to go eat dinner.

They walked to the great hall silently. George kept stealing glances at the girl but she looked straight ahead. Honestly, she wasn't in the mood for dinner but she knew she had to go eat and get some liquids inside of her. She didn't realise how dry her mouth felt till now.

Conversations could be heard from outside of the Great Hall. Students were talking about their day, drama, or Quidditch news. Nobody seemed to realise the two were standing outside the entry way, observing everyone together.