Chapter 4

Shit.

In all reality, Lauren completely forgot all about Lucy. After she woke up, the only thing on her mind was the kids and then Camila.

Lauren glanced back down at her phone, seeing she had missed calls and notifications. The last time she went "missing" was last year when she had the flu. Lucy ended up coming over to the house, thinking something terrible had happened. But at last, Lauren was laying half-dead in her bed, surrounded by tissues and blankets.

Lauren pulled into the grocery store parking lot before picking up her phone. She went to her phone log and clicked on Lucy's name.

"Hello?"

"Hey," Lauren replied as she leaned back in her seat.

"Where are you? Are you alright? You haven't responded to my messages at all today and then you didn't show up to school. I started getting really worried."

"I'm fine," Lauren answered, appreciating the fact Lucy was worried about her well-being.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I just wasn't feeling well earlier, but I feel a lot better now," Lauren said, using the lie she had told her mom earlier.

"Are you busy?"

"Sorta, I was just about to run into the grocery store for my mom," Lauren said, looking over at the big brick building people were walking into and out with carts full of groceries.

"Oh, all right then," Lucy said, sounding disappointed then. "I'll let you go then."

"Wait," Lauren said quickly before Lucy could hang up. "I can call you back later if you want."

"Yeah, that works. I'll be here."

A moment silence took over. Both girls didn't know what to say, but they didn't want to hang up even though Lauren had to go.

"Bye Lucy."

"Bye Laur."

Lauren pulled her phone away from her ear with a wide grin. She took a deep breathe to regroup herself as she slid her phone into her pocket. No matter what happened before, Lucy always made her feel better. It was a curse and blessing at the same time.

Lauren hurried up in the store. The sooner she finished, the sooner she could call Lucy back. That's how she looked at it anyways. She grabbed a basket and threw in a few snacks that probably wouldn't last more than two days with her family. She then proceeded over to the frozen food section, picking out some easy meals they could toss in the oven.

After checking out, Lauren tossed the bags onto the passenger seat and pulled out of the parking lot. After driving for a few minutes, she finally pulled onto her street. As Lauren pulled closer, she saw the "Big Daddy" parked in her spot.

The "Big Daddy" was what the Jauregui family called their gold van. Lauren's grandpa went out and purchased it when their entire family went on vacation to Myrtle Beach. The women never understood why he would buy such a thing when they could rent a van for a week. It was the biggest waste of money. However, it came in handy whenever there was a huge family vacation.

Lauren grabbed the bags off the seat and then carefully walked up the driveway. Chris and Michael were busy rinsing the van down, and the last thing Lauren wanted was to get soaked.

"Hi Mija," Michael smiled as his daughter walked up their driveway.

"Hi," Lauren replied when she was only a few feet away. "We're taking Big Daddy to Disney?" She asked, raising her eyebrow.