Chapter 17

"What's wrong, Lex?" Camila asked frantically as she rolled out of the hammock and ran over to her daughter.

Lauren slowly pushed herself up, careful not to fall out of the hammock. She watched as Camila bent down and checked the little girl for any injuries. She then looked towards the direction Alexa came running from, seeing no one in the distance.

"Lex, what happened?!" Camila asked as she saw no visible injuries.

"Abuela wouldn't let me go down the slide," Alexa pouted as she crossed her arms.

"So you ran from her?! Alexa Carter Cabello, what have I told you about running away?"

"Bad guys can get me," Alexa replied in a sad, soft voice.

"Exactly, so why you here without Abuela?"

"She wouldn't let me go down the slide," Alexa answered. "I came to you so I can go down the slide."

"It doesn't matter, Alexa. You do not run off for any reason."

"Sorry Mommy," Alexa apologized before wrapping her arms around Camila.

Camila hugged the little girl tightly, thankful her daughter was safe. Since Alexa could walk, Camila has always taught her to stay with an adult she knew or play where Camila could see her. Alexa always listened and knew the differences between right and wrong. The only thing she ever has trouble with is keeping her excitement down. When her excitement levels are up, she tends to jump around and yell.

"You scared Mommy," Camila shared as their hug broke apart.

"I won't do it again," Alexa promised.

"Next time I catch you running away again, you're going straight to time out," Camila said sternly and clearly.

Alexa's large chocolate eyes, widened up at the sound of 'time out'. Very rarely has Alexa ever been placed there. In fact, there has only been two times and they were both before she became sick. Whenever Alexa starts to act up, it usually means she's coming down with something.

"I promise," Alexa replied as she held her tiny pinky out.

Camila hooked her pinky around Alexa's and they both kissed their fists.

"Can I go play?" Alexa asked as they unconnected their pinkies.

"Yeah," Camila nodded before slowly standing back up.

Alexa ran a few feet away from the hammock and plopped down in the sand. Camila slowly walked toward the hammock while keeping her eyes locked on Alexa. She then proceeded to pull her phone out of her pocket and moved her brown eyes down to her phone.

"What's up?" Lauren asked as she laid back down and studied the fast motion of Camila's typing fingers.

"Do you think I'm a terrible mother?" Camila asked as she sent a text to Sinu, telling her Alexa was with her.

"No," Lauren admitted as she made room for the young mother.

"Be honest," Camila said as she climbed into the hammock.

"I am being honest," the green-eyed girl admitted. "Why would you ask such a question?"

"Because I feel like I am," Camila mumbled too low for Lauren.

"What was that?"

"Because I feel like I am," Camila repeated again but this time she muffled her voice with Lauren's shoulder.