Chapter Twenty Seven

Fergus walked into the Great Hall the next morning and immediately grimaced as he saw Henry and Hope sitting at the table. Hope was going on about something, as she dramatically moved her hands about making Henry smile and laugh. He went to turn and walk back out but it was too late as he was spotted.

"FERGIE!" Hope's voice called out.

"Of course." he sighed to himself before turning around and braving the two with a smile. "Hey...totally didn't see you guys there."

"How could you not? You were standing right there." Hope pointed out as she gave him an odd look.

"Because I didn't Hope!" Fergus told her. Hope's eyes widened at the boy's reaction.

"Okay, okay." she said placing her hands up. "Let's just take it easy, alright? Everything is going to be just fine."

Fergus rolled his eyes as Henry smirked as Hope slowly began to duck below the table.

"Hope..stop that..don't...don't do that.." Fergus pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head as Hope disappeared beneath the table.

"Hey look there's a sickle down here! Sweet!" Suddenly, the two boys heard her knock her head against the table. "Ow."

"Are you okay, Hope?" Henry asked her.

"Yeah, there's...there's just a lot of colorful circles down here. Oooh, I like that one."

Henry chuckled as Fergus sat down across from him.

"Oh my Merlin..." Hope whispered making it extra weird for Fergus and Henry who still didn't see her. "Henry, your mum and dad are sitting at the end of the table."

Henry looked down the long table to see his parents enjoying their morning coffee, smiling at each other.

"Yeah, I see them. So what?"

"I'm gonna go scare them." Hope said.

"Wait, Hope no." Henry whispered to her, but as he looked under the table, Hope was gone. He looked to Fergus. "Well, I can't say I didn't try."

'Right.." Fergus looked around nervously rubbing his hands together.

"Are you alright there, Fergs?" Henry said eyeing him.

"Um...yeah, I'm fine."

"As my dad would say, you're fragile, insecure, neurotic and emotional." Henry said. "What's going on?"

"Um...so...last night...did you by any chance have any interesting dreams?" Fergus asked him.

Henry raised a brow at him. "Uh...what are you getting at, Fergie? I dreamed about swimming in the tropics, that was nice."

"Okay, let me rephrase this then," Fergus said pulling at the collar of his shirt. " Did you have a dream about someone in particular? Someone you know...who is your best friend? Her name begins with an H and rhymes with...Nope."

At first, Henry stared at him blankly.

"Merlin, no wonder you didn't get sorted into Ravenclaw." he told the boy before Henry finally caught on.

"Hope...I.." Suddenly, the boy's face became incredibly red and his eyes immediately focused on the table before him. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Fergus leaned forward. "That's a bold face lie and you know it, Black!" he whispered harshly to the boy.

"Wh-what...what did I say?" Henry looked worried as he checked under the table once more to make sure Hope wasn't around.

"What didn't you say should be the question!" Fergus said. "I didn't know you liked Hope like that-"

"Shh!" Henry nearly leaped across the table and covered the boy's mouth. "Shut up. I don't need everyone knowing."

Fergus' eyes widened as he pushed Henry's hand away. "So it's true? Really?"

Henry sat back down and dropped his head to the table before he began banging it lightly.

"What did I say?" Henry asked again.

"You said you liked her...like you really really really like her. I mean, since when Henry? I thought you guys were just best friends and...now this."

"I don't know!" Henry told him. "I didn't think I did and then the other day...I...I don't know something just finally clicked."

"Well, does she know?"

"Of course not! I can't tell her!"

"Why not?"

"Because it would make the entire friendship between us weird and I...I can't do that, Fergus. I can't lose her because she thinks it's weird. Besides, it's just a crush right? It'll go away."

"Well according to what you said last night, I think we're passed the crushing phase, Henry."

"This can't be happening. What do I do?" Henry looked to Fergus for advice.

"Tell her?"

"I just said that I can't-"

"ARRGH!" 

The two boys jumped and looked over to where Sirius had leaped up from the table and then fallen backwards to the floor. Nixie covered her mouth to hide her growing grin while Hope appeared from under the table.

"Ha! Got you!" Hope pointed at Sirius, who glared at the girl. Henry smiled as his mother gave Hope a high five while his father grumbled to himself and stood up.

"Well, at least her future in-laws like her.' Fergus chuckled. "One of them."

Henry's face paled as he turned to his friend.

"I mean...is that jam?" Fergus pointed down the table. "So it is!"

                                               ----------

"Looks like Slytherin is going to take the quidditch cup this year. Gryffindor really needs to get their stuff together. The last game was so sloppy against Hufflepuff is was embarrassing." Hope sighed as she sat with Stella and Eliza one afternoon after classes. The weather was warm as the end of the year was coming about and the students were welcoming summer.

"I told you...should have been sorted into Slytherin." Stella said. "The Sorting Hat gave you an actual say and you chose Gryffindor...why Hope? Why?"

"Because Henry was sorted into Gryffindor." Hope replied.

The twins both opened their mouths to respond but turned to each other as Hope rocked back and forth in the grass, holding the bottom of her feet.

"Is that really why you chose Gryffindor, Hope?" Eliza asked looking at her cousin.

Hope peered over at them, oblivious to what they were getting at. 

"Well, yeah...that and because House of Hope was a no go. Still kind of bummed about that."