Chapter Sixty Six

On the morning of Christmas, Hope was up even earlier than her regular time to avoid the chaos that was the girl's dorm. It seemed as soon as the sun was up, the girls were up in the Gryffindor Tower, preparing for the evening ahead. She dodged the rush to the bathrooms and skipped down the steps until she reached the common room. However, she wasn't in the clear just yet, as the common room was just as crowded with other students exchanging gifts. She hurried up the steps to the boy's dorms, going undetected by any of the male prefects. That was until she reached the top step and was greeted by the Head Boy. 

The older boy had his arms folded over his chest as he gave her a stern look. He had his legs spread to block Hope from going around him.

"You've gotten away with this enough, Hope-" But before he could finish, Hope slid under and between his legs before scrambling to her feet and running off in the direction of Henry and Fergus' room.

"WEASLEY!"

Hope let out a happy laugh before reaching the boy's room and entering to find both Henry and Fergus awake surprisingly.

"Well, it must be a Christmas miracle!" She said before sitting next to Henry. "You two are actually awake...on your own."

"I didn't have much of an option." Fergus grumbled rubbing his shoulder. "Henry made sure of that."

"Hey you owe me, remember?" Henry said looking in his direction.

Hope looked back and forth between the two. "Why does he owe you?" she asked facing Henry.

"Because he was too chicken to ask Armina to the Yule Ball, so I asked for him. And she said yes."

"Aww Fergie!" Hope squealed. "You two..and awww!"

Fergus grabbed his blanket and hid under it. "We are not discussing this any further."

"Oh don't be such a grump, Fergie, it's Christmas and you're taking a beautiful girl to the ball. That's a lot to be happy for." Hope told him.

"I am happy, I just don't need anyone making a big deal about it." Fergus' voice sounded from under his blanket.

Hope jumped up from Henry's side and flopped on Fergus' bed, giving him a look.

"You realize as your best friends, it's our job to make big deals out of small things, right?"

Fergus appeared from beneath the blanket before throwing it over her, to hide her from grinning at him.

"You just stay under there." He said before picking himself up and leaving to the bathroom. Hope pulled the blanket off of her and looked across the way at Henry with a sheepish grin. 

"Have you been practicing your dancing for tonight?" She asked him.

"You just wait, Ope, prepared to be swept off your feet."

Hope laughed. "Sure, we'll see. Don't worry, I'll lead if you need me to."

When Fred awoke Christmas morning, he found himself alone in bed as expected as Eleanor was usually the first awake. He pushed himself up from his side of the bed and shuffled out into the living room, to find Eleanor knitting by one of the windows. Her hands moved each stitch effortlessly, but her gaze was focused outside. A small smile on her face as she seemed lost in her thoughts. He could hear a small humming, bringing a smile to his face as he walked over and sat across from her.

"What brings you here?" She asked glancing up at him with a knowing look.

"I heard a little tune and decided to follow it. Led me straight to you."

She chuckled before setting her knitting aside. "It's Christmas." she said.

"So it is." He nodded. 

"And it's so incredibly weird not having Hope home."

"I know, love. But she's off having her own little adventure and from what your father has said, she's having a great time."

Eleanor let out a sigh. "I'm still not happy about her being in the tournament, but I can't even bring myself to be angry with her since she actually didn't enter herself. "

"I don't think you're that upset about it," Fred grinned. "After all, you're the one who knitted her Yule Ball dress."

She chuckled. "Well, I want my daughter to look good!"

"She would have looked fine in a potato sack." Fred said. "She takes after you, she's set."

Eleanor's cheek turned a bright pink before she looked away from him and back out the window. 

"I remember a special event happening  because of the Yule Ball." Fred said running his hand over Eleanor's leg, trying to regain her attention.

"You mean you being a total git?" Eleanor countered, turning to him with a raised brow.

"There is no need for name calling, Ellie."

"I was just being honest, and honesty is-"

"Key. Yes, yes. I know." Fred replied with a small eye roll. "And if we're being honest, you're the one who kissed this git first."

"That was so you didn't get the satisfaction of saying you kissed me first."

"Doesn't matter!" Fred sang loudly in the flat. "You kissed me first, which means you loved me!"

He jumped up to his feet triumphantly. 

"Well, it seemed I was the one who had to make all the first moves, because you wouldn't." Eleanor called after him as he went to stroll into the kitchen.

He suddenly spun around. "That is not true."

Eleanor held up her fingers.

"I winked at you first, asked you to the Yule Ball first, kissed you first-"

"Alright, you made your point!"

The woman had a proud smile on her face as she picked up her knitting again.

"It's good Hope takes after the parent who has the initiative to get things done." 

"Alright that's it!" Fred said going to run after her. Eleanor abandoned her knitting and jumped up from her spot to outrun him.

She opened the door to find Judith and George on the other side, but she quickly scooted between them and ran down the stairs.

"Don't run!" Fred yelled after her before following the same path.

 George chuckled as he and Judith entered the flat to wait out the battle happening downstairs. 

"Some things never change around here."