Ch. 14 - Emmaline

Chapter 14 – Emmaline

Emma turned around to look at Dante who was lying beside her. They were still in his bed like they had been all afternoon. It had been a steamy one. But Emma couldn't bring herself to regret it. She had loved every second of it.

More so did she love staring into Dante's dark brown eyes, and the feel of his hands caressing her body ever so tenderly. His touches made her skin tingle in anticipation for what was to follow. He was her wildest dreams come true. She had been delighted to find she did have a mate. But to find out Dante of all men was the one destined for her, she couldn't believe her luck.

He was just right for her. He was interested in her stories and everything she wanted to share, but didn't push her too hard for information. And he wasn't shy in showing just how much she meant to him already, but didn't show the extends of it without making sure she was okay with it first.

She had to admit, she wasn't used to male attention the way Dante behaved around her. And him asking her consent beforehand was just what she had needed. She was ready to give everything she had to him, but at the same time was she scared shitless.

"Am I too premature when I say that I love you already?" Emma whispered. It felt like her heart had taken residence in her throat as it seemed to pulse with the steady beat her heart had set. It was a heavy one. The kind of heavy you feel when you're overtaken with anxiety and nerves. Emma tried to swallow it down and patiently await his answer, but she couldn't believe she had just laid her heart on the line like that.

She couldn't recall a moment where she had felt this vulnerable.

But of course her worry was uncalled for, Dante would not shame her like that. Also the guy had said more than once that she was everything he had ever wished for. There was no need for her to doubt his feelings and intentions. She was already completely his for crying out loud! And yet, the completed mate-bond wasn't enough to ease the insecurity she was overwhelmed with.

She had never been one to be insecure, so why now?

But she knew why. After Aryana's disappearance she had built walls so high she made sure no one was ever able to hurt her again. Not even her parents. And yet, here he was. He had climbed her walls without breaking a sweat and jumped down on the other side of them, now standing face to face with her. There was no more armour to protect her, to hide behind, because he was in that armour with her.

"Emma, I have loved you ever since I was three years old and my mother first told me about true mates."

Emma smiled at his words. From what she gathered, Dante had awaited their meeting for a long time. And it made Emma feel guilty because she could not say the same for herself. But it wasn't like that was something she could help.

"You're almost too good to be true," she whispered and leaned in to peck him on his lips.

Dante quirked his eyebrow, "almost?" He asked as if he couldn't believe she had used that word. As if that word was something foreign in his mouth. Emma giggled and nodded her head fervently.

"Pretty sure that's what I said." Dante narrowed his eyes on her in a playful matter.

"Pretty sure that's not what you said when I showed you just how much I love you." Emma blushed in response and averted her eyes. He was right, that had been perfect. But she stood her ground, she wouldn't back down and give him the satisfaction.

"Well, you know what they say. Mistakes are easily made when distracted by lust." She squealed when Dante pounced on her and peppered her face in kisses.