Ch. 16 - Dante

So, I know it's been a 'long' time since I updated, and I apologize. Problem is I've hit the part where things are kind of starting to unravel and it's taking me more time to write it. So I hope you can be a little patient when it comes to my updating.

Nonetheless, enjoy!

Chapter 16 – Dante

There were few moments where Dante had been truly scared. Most of them had taken place when he was still a pup and a member of the Spirit Light pack. But ever since that fateful day with his father, Dante had made a point of conquering his fears rather than to be too shaken up and held down by the hold anxiety had over him.

Yet conquering this fear was a task in a class of its own. Because this fear came in the form of an angry and ready to burst into a feral wolf, alpha male. And most of all, in the form of his soulmate's father.

Alpha Samuel was shaking so bad, it was clear to everyone present in the dining room that there was a dangerously real chance of him shifting. Small children were ushered out of the room by their parents who subtly and silently took their leave. And soon it were just the royal bevy and the alpha-family standing in the room. The tension was so thick Dante swore he could taste it on his tongue and feel the weight pushing down on his shoulders.

He stood in front of alpha Samuel, his hand holding tight onto Emmaline's smaller one. She was standing beside him, tall and proud and displaying Dante's mark on her neck for all to see.

But the mark wasn't what had gotten the alpha so furious. He had been present for the marking – a slight overlooking on Dante's part – and had begrudgingly accepted it.

The cause of alpha Samuel's fury lay in the fact that his youngest daughter had walked into the dining room, reeking of Dante. And not because she still smelled of his shampoo. Emmaline had been smart enough to take a shower in her own room just before dinner. But still, it had taken alpha Samuel but three seconds to realise his youngest 'pup' was not a pup anymore and was a very thoroughly mated young woman. Granted she was mated to none other than her true mate, but that seemed to be a trivial given and sadly did not help the situation.

For the last two days Emmaline and Dante had carefully avoided alpha Samuel because they knew he wouldn't take to their mating well. Not this soon at least.

But tonight's dinner had been obligatory and they couldn't come up with yet another excuse. So here they stood. Both ready to face Emma's father's wrath.

"Dear," luna Erica said softly to the angry alpha. Dante's grip on Emma's hand became relentless as he readied himself to fling Emma out of harm's way when he noticed alpha Samuel didn't react to the luna's soothing voice at all. Luna Erica laid her hand on the alpha's bicep and demanded he'd turn to look at her.

The alpha didn't give in though and held Dante's gaze for as long as he could before snapping his head towards the luna. He let out a warning growl to show exactly just how displeased he was with his luna's behaviour. Luna Erica didn't seem fazed by it at all and Dante knew it was only because the luna had faith her mate would never harm her.

Dante couldn't be too sure though. How often had he witnessed an alpha losing his temper and – accidently – harming his luna?

And were he anywhere else, Dante would have made sure to stand in between a luna and a vicious alpha, but right now he was the reason an alpha became dangerous. Also, to Dante, his mate was more important. Most important, actually.

"Let's take a deep breath," luna Erica spoke in the same soothing voice she used earlier. "We wouldn't want to rip into visiting guests now, would we?"