Ch. 30 - Dante

So I know you probably hate me right now. But I'm honest when I'm telling you that life is just really, really busy. A lot of stuff has happened and the deadline of my paper is coming closer and closer. It's kind of stressing me out because it'll determine if I graduate or not.

Anyway. Here's the next chapter. Hope it doesn't disappoint. I'll try to update faster.

Lots of love,

Charlie

P.S. this chapter is not edited because I wanted to get it to you as soon as humanly possible

Chapter 30 - Dante

Dante growled in frustration as he hung up the phone. He'd thought hearing Emma's voice would take away all his worries. But the words she'd spoken had had the opposite effect and only added to his stress. He threw the phone onto the wooden desk and stormed out of the office.

Derek was patiently waiting in the corridor, holding on to their duffel bags. His head shot up in surprise when Dante exited the office sooner than he had expected him to. Dante roughly grabbed his bag, not wasting time to look at Derek as he stalked passed him. "We're leaving," Dante commanded and stalked out of the packhouse. Derek was right on his heels as they both shifted, grabbed their bags in their mouths and took off into the woods.

Both males stayed quiet, allowing Dante to gather his thoughts and think things through. For the next three hours, neither of them said a word while moving through the trees on top speed. They didn't tire easily, causing them to cover a great deal of distance a bit faster than they had planned.

Derek noticed after those three hours that Dante was headed too much to the left, bringing them off course. He raked his brain to try and remember if they had changed Silver Stealth from being their first destination to another of the candidates. He thought not. In fact, he was sure they hadn't.

And then he understood what Dante was doing and where he was headed. Not blinking twice, Derek pounced on Dante's back and growled lowly. Both wolves fell to the ground, Dante was growling in fury and baring his teeth in a warning. Derek didn't let it intimidate him and stood his ground, baring his own canines.

"We're not on a mission to Woodland. Dante. We have a mission to protect our queen." Derek linked Dante, but he only snarled in response. Act like a true royal beta and forget about Emma and her lies. You have a duty to fulfil. We have a duty to fulfil. Our own needs and feelings are inferior to those of whom we serve." Dante whined and shook his head. Common sense was seeping into his brain again and Derek let out a huff of relief. If it had come down to a fight, Derek knew he would have gotten the rough end of the deal. There was a reason Dante was the royal beta and Derek the royal gamma.

Dante did not respond verbally, but rather just changed course again and headed toward Silver Stealth.

Their pace had slowed quite a bit. Dante, now with a cleared mind, was leading them straight to their first destination. There, they would meet with the first possible Blood Wolf on their list; Josephine Rivers.

Alpha Aldwin McClaine had already been informed of their upcoming visit. He was only too happy to host the royal beta and gamma. He promised to prepare a large dinner and two bedrooms. Dante and Derek didn't plan on staying long, just a night or two, depending on the circumstances. Nonetheless, it was thoughtful of alpha McClaine and his luna Evelyn McClaine.

"It's rather uncomfortable, running while carrying your bag with your mouth," Derek commented.

"I must agree with you on that. Next time we'll drive?"