Ch. 39 - Dante

Chapter 39 -Dante

Dante kept pacing through the guest room he was staying in. Lady Rose promised to call him as soon as she had more news about Emma's whereabouts and wellbeing. It had been six hours since then, and still no word had come. It got him worried. Could something have happened to his Emma? Just like was written in the letter addressed to him?

No. His Emma was strong, she was more than capable to take care of herself if she was able to push her clumsiness aside. He rubbed his upper arm and stopped in front of the window. It was beginning to get dark outside. Hopefully the war at Woodland would have already ended. Fighting in itself was challenging and asked the very best of you; fighting in the dark was something else entirely. While their eyes were made to see in the dark, everything changed around you. It could confuse you and disorientate you. Dante could only hope Emma had some sort of experience with fighting at night.

Another ten minutes passed, and with every tick of the clock, his body became more restless, his mind more frustrated. Every singly fibre of his being screamed for him to go and assist his mate. It was wrong for him to be safe while she wasn't. To be kept safe, and to keep safe, you that are my soulmate, my destiny. Those were the words she had vowed to him. And he was failing, he was not holding his end of the deal.

And so, for the twenty-seventh time in the past minute, Dante glanced at his phone. Maybe he should call Woodland again.

And finally, after all those hours of waiting, he took matters into his own hands and called Woodland. He knew it would most likely be Lady Rose who'd pick up the phone. No doubt the other wolves were busy dealing with the aftermath a fight would bring. Wounded would have to be carried to some sort of clinic or pack hospital, the dead should be identified and brought back to be said farewell to properly. Families would reunite and come together in both relief and grief.

The fighting might be over, that did not mean the pack could rest.

After twelve agonisingly slow seconds, the now somewhat familiar voice of Lady Rose greeted him. The first thought that shot through Dante's head was: She sounds tired and defeated. Which wasn't all that surprising. A war could take years off your life within mere minutes. It was an evil that could cause death and pain not only to those fighting, but all those who were somehow involved.

"Beta Dante, I assume it's you?" She'd said.

"You assume right, Lady Rose." Dante confirmed. He ran a hand through his hair that was now already sticking out whichever way since he'd done that motion over and over again to keep his hands busy. It allowed him to divert some of his anxiety, but it caused his hair to look hideous. "I'm sorry to bother you in such difficult times, but I must ask..."

"I'm truly sorry, Dante, but Emma has yet to report back to us. Until then, I'm afraid I cannot provide you with anymore information." Her apology sounded sincere, and Dante knew she meant it.

"I understand. I hope the casualties on your part are minimal?" Dante decided to be polite and ask about the pack's well-being, mainly because he was genuinely interested. As royal beta it was part of the job to be there for the king's subjects, and so he would be.

"I believe so. But every death is one too many." Soft talking could be heard on Lady Rose's end. Dante strained his hearing, but the microphone of Lady Rose's phone was not strong enough to pick up the exact words that were being said. Though he could hear her gasp in horror. Not wanting to jump to conclusions too soon, Dante remained calm and controlled his breathing.

He kept listening intently and could make out the words Lycan Edge and informed. Could they have gotten information on the missing warriors that were supposed to assist Woodland in their fight against the rogues? "Fifty one dead..." "Nine missing". It were alarming fragments of what were no doubt even more alarming sentences.