Ch. 38 - Emmaline

Chapter 38 – Emmaline

"I agree with Roman," Lonnie concluded. "It's not smart to go out there now." Emma groaned in exasperation when hearing his decision. She had hoped her trainers would back her up.

Despite not agreeing with each other, she and Roman had thought it'd be best to still seek an audience with the other two. Unfortunately for Emma, they sided with Roman on his wait-and-prepare game.

"I'm sorry Emma. I know how much you wanted to take some action... If you could wait maybe a week more." She looked at Jimmie sceptically. They had broken their promises before, so she did not have much hope.

"What do you reckon has changed in a week?" Emma inquired.

"We're still hoping for back up to arrive." Lonnie piped up.

Right. The Lycan Edge warriors who were supposed to arrive a long time ago. Truth be told, Emma had given up on those warriors. They were either dead, had joined their enemies, or simply decided not to put their lives on the line to save a pack that was not theirs to begin with.

"If we wait for those warriors to arrive, we are about to wait for eternity," spoke Emma. "And let me tell you, those rogues out there could not care less about our back-up showing up. They'll attack us before the day after tomorrow." The rogues had waited a long time, it wasn't something Emma had seen very often. Usually they behaved just like her; on impulse.

"And how would you know that?" Lonnie asked her, refusing to believe they were on their own.

"I know because I have spent the better part of my life observing them and hunting them down." Emma growled. She did not appreciate them doubting her. "We can wait for as long as you scaredy-cats would like, but our enemies will not do the same."

"And going out there right now to kill their leaders will help us?" Lonnie stood from his seat and narrowed his eyes on the younger girl. It had been a long time since they had gotten into an argument and had not seen eye to eye.

"It might buy us time. If we take out the right wolves, they will not know what to do. They will still attack, but they'll be uncoordinated and messy. That might be a great advantage."

"Yes. It might. I don't know about you Emma, but I'd like to come back to my mate and pups some day! Maybe you have got nothing to lose now that your mate is not talking to you, but the rest of us do."

"If we do not act soon, there may not be a family left to come home to." She had much more to say, but could not find the words anymore. Did she really have nothing more to lose? Would Dante truly not talk to her anymore? The thought pained her, and her fighting-spirit deflated. "Whatever. When they attack us within forty-eight hours, and they will, don't come crying to me."

With those parting words Emma left the three men standing in the living room.

She found herself wandering over the territory. Several warriors were still training and preparing for battle. It did not make her feel at ease in the slightest. They should all already have taken position. But of course no one seemed to think of the fact that this waiting game on the rogues' part would come to an end eventually. They all acted as if they had all the time in the world.

The agonised howl of a wolf was heard.

All of the wolves outside looked toward the Northern border at once. And as if one body, they got up, shifted and ran as fast as they could to aid their packmember. Emma followed them immediately. When they came to the border, they saw the rogues all lined up on the other side. Their numbers were rather great and they blocked the entire Northern half of the territory. Another few wolves started howling to warn the others.