Chapter 1

I stepped inside the snack shop. My feet hurts from all the walking I did. Looking for a job wasn't easy. But when you're just eighteen years old, it’s more complicated. I was rejected four times today because of my age. I know I'm still young but it doesn't mean I can't do a job properly.

I grabbed a bottle of water and walked to the cashier. She smiled and politely asked if that was all I would buy. When you only have a small amount of money in your pocket, a bottle of water would do. I handed her the money. I contemplated whether to ask her if there was any job available here. My cowardice made me held my tongue.

"Uhm, can I borrow that newspaper?" I asked as soon as I spotted the newspaper on her chair.

"Here." She smiled as she handed it to me. I thanked her and took a sit near the window.

I immediately opened the ads page. 

Hmmm. Where to start? 

I stood with my jaw opened. In front of me was a huge gate made of iron and wood. This is the correct address, right? I looked at the paper again and checked. The plate on the wall confirmed it. I placed the newspaper inside my sling bag. I took deep breaths and pressed the white button of the intercom with shaky hands. I patiently stood there and waited for someone to answer. Minutes later, a voice of a woman spoke.

"Good Morning. What can I help you?"

I moved closer to the intercom. "Hi, I'm here to apply to be a house maid. I'd seen your ads in the newspaper."

"Hold on for a second dear." The gates started to open. An elegant house stood with all grandeur, screaming luxury. I bet I can't even afford their doorknob. My eyes scanned the entire area. A fountain was situated in the middle of the lawn.  The piece was made of marble. It featured horses, fishes, and on top were three little naked boys. Around the fountain were a bunch of colorful flowers. A woman, who I assumed was in her early forties, came in view. She gestured for me to walk faster. I increased my pace. Jesus, is it just me or this pathway is so damn long?

"Hello dear. I'm Anita." she beamed. "Come on. They are waiting." she placed her hand on my back. We walked towards the house. Four strong, white pillars were supporting the upper balcony. I noticed there were a lot of windows. This residence was breathtaking. The owners must big time to have such home. I was too focus on my surroundings that I didn't noticed Anita stopped. I ended bumping at her back.

"I'm sorry." I stepped back and gave a small smile. She shrugged it and grinned. She pushed the white double-doors open. My eyes went wide and my jaw dropped to the ground.

"Welcome to the Styles’ Manor dear." She stepped aside, giving me space to walk in. Just when I thought that the exterior of the house was enough, the interior was more lavish. "Dear? Are you alright?" I was snapped out of my thoughts when she placed her hand on my shoulder.

"Huh?"

"You zoned out there." she smiled, again.

Do this woman ever stop smiling?

"I'm sorry. It's just that this house is so enormous." My eyes continued to scan the entire room. I think I can't even afford the picture frame. Everything looked expensive. She laughed and I smiled sheepishly. "I know. The house can be overwhelming. You should prepare yourself. You might faint when you'll see the entirety of the manor." She led me to the kitchen that was twice the size of my house. She told me to wait here while she goes to get Mr. Clark, the butler.