Chapter 4

Time seemed to freeze ever since Jerry was diagnosed with Amnesia. Every rodent in the state and perhaps the country were depressed over the "loss" of the role model and hero. Jerry received multiple gifts, flowers, balloons, and "get well" cards from various concerned fans. Some people even went above and beyond, giving the mouse slices of rare cheese, writing him inspiring letters about how he changed their tiny lives, and even photos of Jerry's past homes.

You felt absolutely awful. Sure, you had nothing to do with the mouse's current state, but you were still filled with pure guilt. You had no idea how to help the mouse remember; all of your ideas seemed flawed or destined to fail. You tried researching for ways to jog Jerry's mind, but the remedies and procedures proved to be inadequate. As you skimmed through multiple medical books and journals from the hospital's study, you realized that you wouldn't be able to find a cure there. The study may have been filled with rich knowledge that was passed down from other doctors before you, but very few had experienced a patient with Amnesia.

There was only one place you could go to in order to find a reasonable cure: the human's computer. Surely mankind had dealt with something like this, and they must know how to help. Of course, a mouse in the walls of an animal hospital may not be the best sight for them. Humans weren't fond of your kind. You were supposedly, "disease-ridden rodents" that deserved to be brutally killed and exterminated. There were very few kind human souls out there that treated you kindly, but were didn't know if you could trust the cat-loving humans running the vet clinic.

Running through the wooden walls where cobwebs hung freely, you scampered to the main lobby. As you traveled, you would peek through very small peep holes for any signs of cats, humans, or anything or anyone else that would cause you trouble in your journey. It seemed like the office was shut for the night. Animals were sleeping quietly in their kennels while the humans seemed to either be off duty or in the break room in case for emergencies. With your worries lifted and the obstacles out of your path, you made your way to the main lobby.

A small entrance hole was hidden behind a potted plant in the large entry room. Across the floor was a tall desk for a human receptionist, complete with a telephone, pens and pencils, paperwork, and a wonderful computer. Before you hustled to the computer, you checked your surroundings for any prying eyes. The coast was clear, and you hurried to the large computer. By climbing the wires under the table that connected to the phone and computer, you pulled yourself up high enough to swing onto the chair. From their, you climbed the back of the seat to the top, where you jumped and tumbled onto the desktop.

Finally, you reached the tall passage to the internet. It was massive in your eyes, almost ten times your height. The keyboard was just as huge, with lettered buttons sticking out, ready to the pressed. Due to your small body, it would take a while to control the device, but you had determination flowing inside you. You pushed the computer mouse to the web browser and began typing away. By leaping from letter to letter, you slowly made progress. Good thing Google was the home page; you didn't trust the other search engines like Bing.

"Cures for amnesia," you typed into the computer. You jumped from the "A" button all the way to "Enter," a huge feat for such a small animal. You leaped off the keyboard to the computer mouse, and watched the screen fill with helpful websites to aid you. Wiping the sweat from your forehead, you pushed the controller with two hands to the first link.
Immediately, you skimmed through the site, looking for anything useful. You scrolled, and scrolled, and scrolled through the useless information on the site. You were about to go back a click another site, when you finally found what you needed. You dashed up to the computer screen, close enough where the lights hurt your fragile eyes. You mumbled the words to yourself as you read, trying to memorize every bit of information you could.

"Take the victim to places of familiarity. Show victim objects from their past to recreate memories and quicken the recovery," you mumbled quietly. You didn't know if it would work, but it was your best shot.

You were about to research some more, but an unexpected phone call came through, making you jump in the air. You heard large footsteps hasten down the hall to the desk. You quickly closed out of the tab, and jumped down from the table. You quietly scurried back into the wall, almost being seen by a human being.