Chapter 6

The night sky hung above the city as you and Jerry walked down the sidewalk. The moon told you that it was a little past midnight and that daylight would break through the horizon in a few hours. The stars gave you directions as you walked north towards Howard Parks, a common meeting spot for rodents of all kinds. There had to be someone there who knew about the whereabouts of young little Nibbles. You just hoped that you would make it to the park without a problem.

Every now and then, you would take cover due to a passing car, human steps, or a sudden movement in an alleyway. This was one of the few times you walked around in the city out in the open, meaning you were a little jumpy and on guard. You would usually wait until early morning, the time when the people are still asleep and the wild felines of the city were beginning to tire from their night time prowl. However, you wanted to get Jerry's memory back as soon as possible, and that meant risking your tail in the busy streets.

While you watched every shadow with frightened eyes, Jerry stood tall and mighty. You were amazed at how confident he was as he walked through the streets. The only time he would hide was when you pulled him behind a trash can. Even then, the mouse didn't like being cautious. His amnesia didn't faze him at all. If the mouse was afraid, it definitely didn't appear. There was no hesitation as he walked in the cold and unforgiving town. His attitude helped you find a little peace, but it didn't last long.

"Well, well, well, What do we have here?" a voice slurred down a dark alley.

Jerry stepped in front of you as a large black cat walked out of the shadows with a lit cigarette in his mouth. It was disgusting how some animals go low enough to enjoy the human's poor habits. Of course, the cat was probably a pretty disgusting character. With filthy fur, rancid breath, and a horrible stench that threatened to make you pass out, you knew this feline was one of the poor pets that lived on the streets, abandoned or simply too stubborn to find a human friend.

The cat took the cigarette out of his mouth and blew a smoke ring into the sky. "Ya know, I didn't expect my meal to simply walk to me, but I ain't complaining. Especially when I get a second helping with it."

The black cat took in another breath of smoky air before dropping his cigarette and blowing some of his gray breath in your direction, burning you eyes from the chemicals. You couldn't see anything with your watery, red eyes, meaning you were a small helpless prey just waiting to be taken away. Sharp claws and stiff fur tightly hugged your body, and you were pulled up into the air. You released a small whimper as the hand collapsed your lungs with brute strength. You knew going out in the city at night was a bad idea.

"Come to Papa Butch," the feline said as he moved his fingers to the tip of your tail and began lowering you into his razor-sharp fangs. You squirmed around in mid-air, but it was hopeless. You turned towards the brown mouse, only to have no sign of him. Did he just leave you to be eaten alive?! Some hero; you were heartbroken.

Just as you were about to touch his tongue, you began smelling something burning. So did Butch, and he followed the source back behind him and to his tail. Sure enough, there was Jerry, holding a cigarette with his tiny paws right on your captors tail, burning it to a crispy piece of cat-cabob. In surprise, the black cat closed with mouth and dropped you towards the hard concrete. Just as you were about to his the ground, your hero was there to catch you. Even though a certain feline was releasing a blood-curdling scream behind you, you couldn't help getting lost in Jerry's eyes as you sat bridal style in his arms. Blush grew on the boy's cheeks as he stared into your eyes as well.

The cat dipped his tail a nearby puddle of dirty city water. The fire extinguished, and Butch sighed in relief. He then turned towards his prey, whom were having a little "moment." With the two rodents distracted, he decided to snag his midnight snack, this time going for the male mouse. With a quick grab, the troublesome rodent was in his grasp, and you were sitting on the cold ground.

"You really get on my nerves, mousey," Butch said as he picked up his cigarette. He used it to blow more smoke at the brown mouse, making him cough and hack. "Of course, I'm always happy for a little smoked special."

You acted quickly on impulse and ran straight for the trash cans. With a lid in each hand, you ran back to Butch and jumped all the way up to the cat's head. Using all your strength, you banged the lids together with his head in the middle, flattening any brain he had in that thick skull. Jerry was immediately dropped as Butch continued to see stars. The mouse landed on his feet right beside you. You watched the feline wobble from heel to toe before crashing down to the concrete like a mighty giant, tongue sticking out and eyes shut tight.

Jerry gave you a pat on the back before taking your hand and leading you out of the alley. You were thinking about what you had just done. All your life, you had worked day and night to help people not hurt them. You didn't regret smashing the cat's face in, though; He totally deserved it. You were more focused on the feeling of power you felt as you watched him fall. It felt good to be able to stand up to such a large foe, one that has plagued rodent kind since the beginning. No wonder Jerry loved it so much.