Chapter 14

The fun day in the water lead to some farm exploration. Quackers would play as mother goose, showing you and the other mice around the area. It was mainly an attempt at jogging Jerry's memories, but you still enjoyed the tour. With every destination, a story would fall from the young ducks mouth with great detail. Within the kitchen, you learned how Quacker first hatched in a frying pan, Tom the cat loomed over the little duckling like an evening shadow. Near the woodstock pile, the tale was told when the duckling chopped down a grand tree that later hammered Tom into the ground. Outside the hog shed, the place where Jerry switched Tom's duck caller for a stick of dynamite. The laughter roared on the farm with every story explained.

        The moon's white rays glistened down onto the fields below, meaning that it was time to rest. Quacker led you, Jerry, and Nibbles back to Jerry's home. The crisp air of night tickled the fur on your neck and whispered into your ear. Nibbles, the young mouse with plenty of adventure for the day, began to yawn. Jerry picked up his nephew in his arms, letting the gray child rest his head on his shoulder. You found it absolutely adorable.

        Finally, the small mouse hole appeared in sight. This is where you would rest for the night. Quacker left as soon as the two of you were settled in, heading back to his mother's nest. You crashed on Jerry's hay-filled sofa, while the other two rested on Jerry's tuna can bed. Jerry set Nibbles down on the bed, tucked him in, and allowed the child to collapse into sleep.

        You felt the need to walk around the house a little more. Scoping around the different photos and objects, and began to plan your next destination. Southbound Farms was a beautiful place to visit, but you were on a mission. Perhaps you would need to visit the farms again as soon as Jerry's memories were restored. However, this current adventure needed your attention.

        That was when you noticed a photograph hanging on the wall right above the sofa. Within the image, two mice, one smiling and the other somewhat smirking, stood in front of a beaten gray cat. This cat, you knew, was Tom Cat, Jerry's common nemesis. The two mice, however, played slight tricks on your mind. One was obviously Jerry, his classic, winning smile ever present on his muzzle. The other mouse was almost an exact duplicate to your brown friend. This mouse was much buffer and more rugged. His muscular frame was covered by a yellow and black shirt, and he was outfitted with a green bowler hat that both fit and clashed his style. This muscular mouse, possibly a relative of Jerry's, seemed like the next person you should find.

        You grabbed the photo frame delicately. Your eyes drifted to the happy Jerry mouse, his eyes beaming in a way you haven't seen. The mouse in the photo was the mouse you admired, the role model for creatures big and small across the globe. You missed Jerry, the Jerry that fought for all, and you knew you would get him back. But, what would happen after? Would you go back to the hospital and focus back on your career? Would your adventure with Jerry come to an end? Or would a new one begin? You weren't entirely sure, but whatever occurred, you would have to live with it.

        You finally flipped the frame over, and opened the compartment in the back. You took the picture into your paw. Observing the back of the photo, you found writing. The penmenship was scratchy, but fitting. You assumed it belonged to either Jerry or the other mouse in the photo. Either way, you could still read the print, the next clue to your journey.

Freddie "Muscles" Mouse & Jerry Mouse

- Hogan's Alley (2010)

        Hogan's alley was a notorious meeting ground of roffians both small and large. While you weren't very keen in going somewhere violent, it was the next lead.

        "Hey, Jerry," you began, rubbing the photo paper between you fingers. "I think I know where we can--"

        You looked up, noticing that you were the only awake soul in the mouse hole. Nibbles was slightly snoring on the bed, oblivious to you. However, Jerry was no where in sight. You set the photo on the sofa gently, looking for any signs of Jerry. You walked outside, and began scanning night horizon for the brown mouse. You couldn't see anything over the tall grass, and the darkness didn't help at all. A small amount of moonlight rested at your feet, a mouse-like silhouette within the white colored ground. You looked up at the moon and stars, watching them cascade light onto the farm animals around you. Next to the moon, Jerry sat in thought on the barn roof almost in a daze.

        You began climbing up the walls as fast as you could. It wasn't as hard as you thought, although the height was a bit of a fear that grew as you rose higher and higher off the natural ground. Finally, you arrived at the top of the barn. You didn't dare look down, but instead, you focused your eyes on Jerry, whom still didn't acknowledge your presence. He sat  on the edge of the roof, a small distance between you. You took a deep breath, not really sure on what to do.

        "Jerry?" you whispered, taking a few steps towards the mouse. Jerry's ears flicked slightly, a sign that he heard you.

        "I, um, think I know where we can go next, " you began nervously. You messed with your hands and continued to walk forward, slightly aprehensive. "We can head back to the city towards Hogan's Alley."

        You stood next to Jerry on the roof, his gaze was still directed up to the sky. Was he ignoring your words on purpose, or was he in too much thought at the moment? You sat down next to him, looking up at the stars as well. Out in the country, the open sky was much more beautiful. Twinkling diamonds dancing in the sky, shining even brighter than city neon lights. The area was peaceful, tranquil from traffic and noisy people. It was slowly lulling you to sleep, but worry was occupying every part of your brain at the moment.

        "We should really head down for the night, Jerry." You began to lift yourself off from your seat, but suddenly felt another paw squeeze your own.

        You looked over in surprise, but Jerry's head was still held high. His eyes were still focused on the moon and stars.

        "Thank you."

        "What?" you whispered, leaning your head over to hear better. You never heard Jerry speak before, but his voice was soft and gentle. The tone was unexpected, but lovely all the same. It held emotion, and was able to relay it back to your ears perfectly. You wished he would speak more often.

        "I never thanked you....for well.....everything," Jerry muttered gently, his hand held yours a little tighter. You squeezed his hand back comfortingly.

        "I wanted to help. I'm a doctor, that's what I do. You don't need to thank me for that."

        Jerry looked over at you, a sad smile stretched across his face. He let go of your hand and stood up. You still sat on the roof in the nightlight, Jerry above  you looking at the stars. In the night, you heard him very faintly

        "What your doing means so much more to me than that."

        With that, Jerry left you on the roof. You sat there, your thoughts clouding your head as you looked up at the stars the same way the brown mouse did a little while ago.