Chapter 7

Just as the sun was about to rise over the horizon, you reached the park. Your tiny feet were tingling in pain as you walked through the recently cut grass. Dew drops from the green plants made your fur weigh down from moisture. You loved the beautiful stars that shined during the night, and the gorgeous Sun rise looked like a calming kaleidoscope of vibrant colors. Now, you were getting tired from the constant walking and lack of rest and food. Jerry could feel it, too; the hunger and dire need of sleep was affecting both of you. 

        Jerry lead you further into Howard's Park, as if on instinct. He would make twists and turns every now and then, making you believe that he perhaps remembered the path. You had no idea where he was going. You rarely visited the park, and the grass surpassed your height with ease. After some more walking, you started to smell a delicious aroma. You had no idea what it was, but the hunger lingering in your stomach was beginning to feel like torture. Jerry appeared to be walking closer to it, and with every step, your feet tingled more and more painfully.

        Soon, a large tree was seen ahead, scratching the morning sky with its stiff branches. As you walked, it became more and more evident that this was your destination. Still, you were confused as to why. Why was the tree the source of such pleasant smells? Why was Jerry so keen on going there? Did he actually remember something about it, or was he just following the scent?

        Finally, the two of you reached the base of the tree. Its large roots dug into the ground, helping it to stand tall and mighty. The leaves were now creating music as they rustled in the growing wind. You noticed a human craving imprinted on the bark of the tree. It was a heart with the initials "C + J" inside. You had no idea who they were, but you quickly let it pass through your mind. Instead, you followed Jerry, whom was looking down a very small hole under the tree. It was large enough for a small rodent such as yourself to crawl, but tiny enough so quick human eyes would hardly notice it.

        You now stood right in from of the hole. You had no idea where it lead, but your partner seemed very curious about it. You realized that it was the source of the great waft you traced. Stepping closer, you could hear something inaudible. You didn't know what it was, but you were almost frightened to find out. What if it was a trap? Perhaps a rabid hunter could live in there, ready to snag you. With your tired and starving state, you two wouldn't stand a chance. Jerry, however, didn't seem fazed by it. In fact, you could tell on his face that we wanted to go deeper into the ground, into whatever the tree hid.

        Jerry stepped to the hole, placing a foot inside. You stayed standing where you were, not making a move. Noticing this, the brown male turned back to you. A tired but kind smile appeared on his face. His eyes washed over a feeling of safety as you looked into them. He seemed relaxed, even though the passage was dark and mysterious to the both of you. The mouse opened up a hand towards you. You stared at it for a small while before taking a deep breath. Very gingerly, you placed your delicate hand in his. He held it lightly, hoping to make you feel more at ease. You stepped up to be right beside him. Finally, your foot took a step inside.