Chapter 15

You were on the delivery truck by sunrise. You and the rest of the group said your goodbyes to Quacker. The farewell was short, solemn, but held meaning. As the stars began to disappear, you jumped into the vehicle through an open door. The teen in charge carried cartons of eggs and gallons of milk to the truck's refrigerator, giving you and the other mice time to slip in unnoticed. The three of you hid underneath the seats, staying out of view when the hired hand entered his vehicle. The adolescent jammed his key into the ignition; the van coming alive with a roar. The music pounded in your sensitive ears, similar to before. Soon, you were on the road, kicking up gravel and dust at sixty miles per hour.

As time went on, the radio faded as background noise. Your thoughts focused on the picture in your hands. Two mice shared the limelight and a family bond. If anyone was going to help Jerry with his current condition, perhaps another family member was the way to go. You flipped the image over; "Hogan's Alley" etched on the back. The gruesome and dark street was known for multiple animal injuries and as the meeting ground for felons alike. However, Jerry had some family living in the Alley. Obviously, this meant that Muscles' couldn't possess a picket white fence or any front lawn flamingos. You just hoped he didn't decorate with crime scene tape.

Your body was a stiff stone while you focused on your thoughts. It was only when a large bump in the road lifted your small stature into the air and gravity pulled you back down onto the truck floor that you awoke from your trance. You looked up through the windows. Dormant street lamps loomed over the street while the echoes of car horn blared into your eardrums. You were back in the city. Though the country view was relaxing, you missed the steel streets and brick buildings. You loved the bustling streets and the pounding of human feet. The energy that resonated from the concrete sidewalks brought a beat into your breath.

Finally, the vehicle came to a stop at a large grocery store. The high school student pulled the key out of the ignition and opened his door. Jerry and Nibbles dashed over to the exit while carrying the leather glove over their heads. The teen slammed the car door shut, but not before the two mice slipped the fabric into place, preventing the door from closing all the way. This allowed the three of you to make your escape. You were the first one to exit the truck, hopping down onto the ground. Nibbles was next, jumping into your arms. Finally, Jerry took a large leap out of the van, landing right beside you. You scuttled under the vehicle to avoid being seen.

The teen's footsteps pounded from the back of the van to his car door again. When finding the glove stuck in the door, he muttered in a quiet but angry tone. You heard him slam the door again, but with much more aggression than last time. You watched him amble towards the grocery store's back entrance, and finally, he entered the building in a huff.

You and your companions left your refuge from under the van. The buildings cast dark, cold shadows overhead. It was still early in the morning; the sun had yet to rise completely from the horizon. Small chills were sent down your spine, tickling the fur on your skin. The sky illuminated in a bright orange, somewhat blinding to your retinas. However, it wouldn't be long until you were back in the dark shadows.

The three of you scuttled to the street. Only a few humans were walking down the street, but the rush hour was drawing near. Jerry lead you to an open storm drain, an opening large enough for all kinds of rodents to enter the pipelines. This was one of the fastest ways for animals to travel unnoticed. Some used the rushing water to venture out of the city for a new life. Others, such as you and your group, would use it to travel from one storm drain to the other, allowing quick access all over the city. All you would need to do is purchase a ride on one of the boats.

The brown mouse ducked in first, clutching onto a small rope that dangled from the drain. Nibbles followed after, though he seemed to slide down the rope more than climb. Finally, you entered. The rope burned your sensitive skin, making you hustle down into the dry catch basin. Thankfully, it hadn't rained for a while, leaving only a little moisture in the underground area to bother you.