Chapter 10

Man, it sure has been a while!! I want to apologize for the super long wait. To be honest, I was going through writer's block on a lot of my stories. Now, I have some fresh ideas for this story and a couple of my other ones. So, one of the problems I had was that after such a long time away from writing on this story, I kinda...forgot who I planned for the characters to meet. So, I hope I choose a character that you guys may not expect!!:)

The trip to the Humane Society was definitely...different. The second you boarded the subway, Jerry was surrounded by fans. You and Nibbles were barely able to break free of the suffocating crowds. Sadly, Jerry was being mauled by his admirers which was a punishment no one deserved. When you noticed that he was still in the crowd, you broke through the masses to reach him. You had to pull him away from the center of attention, fighting throw the crowds like swimming against the tide. Once you broke from the fans, you looked down at the dazed Jerry. He was definitely missing a few features, like his whiskers and iconic hairs on the top of his head. It even looked like someone snagged a bit of his tail when he wasn't looking.

You ended up having to ride with the engineers and employees. The fans were going crazy, and it bothered many passengers. So, the three of you sat quietly in the awkward room. You and Jerry had to sit with Nibbles in between you; the young child's curiosity was getting the best of him as bright lights from the dashboard peaked his interest. After a short while, the gray mouse began to doze off. Soon, Jerry's nephew had closed his eyes and leaned up against his Uncle. Within a few seconds, Jerry ended up closing his eyes as well. You smiled quietly with a very light giggle. It was one of the cutest things you had ever seen.

You must have fallen asleep as well; before you knew it Jerry was shaking your shoulder as a yawning Nibbles held his hand. You rubbed the sleep from your eyes, stretched your sore arms, and fumbled your way out of the subway car. Once again, a beautiful moon shone it's light down the subway staircase. The three of you jumped up the stairs into the quiet, dark streets in the city. The prison was only a few blocks south, and since everyone tried to stay away from that building, your walk there was simple and calming.

At the back of the building, a group of rodents in blue clothes stood perfectly still. However, the second they saw Jerry, they broke their focus and began squealing like little children. They ran up to the three of you, grabbing their pens for an autograph. Jerry was already tackled by a crowd of fans earlier today, he didn't need the cops surrounding him either. He quickly signed their papers and clothes, shook their hands, and took a few celebrity selfies with them while you and Nibbles slowly stepped to the entrance. Once the two of you were in, Jerry waltzed right in since the police saw no problem with the hero of rodents everywhere.

When the humans left, it was time for the animals to come out of the shadows. Visiting hours began for all the creatures locked behind bars. Most of the beings within the metal cages were either criminals, sleezebags, or lazy citizens that used adoption to escape from responsibility. However, sometimes a rodent that is adopted becomes something similar to a spy. They tell the mouse world what kind of new traps they have set and designed, and luckily, it saves hundreds of lives.

Anyways, you decided to find any fellow rodents that would know of Jerry. Nibbles was the only one that would know of such a person, so you followed his lead. As your footsteps echoed through the dark halls, you couldn't help but feel shivers go up your fur. Your whiskers tingled and your ears twitched like danger was all around. You felt a strong sense of fear as you felt stares follow your every move. You had lived far away from these places all your life. In fact, the only time you ever touched a place like this was in a photograph. You had lived your entire life wanting to help others, but the people living in this building did the exact opposite.

"Miss Toots!"

You turned to see the young mouse with his hands clasping gray, metal bars. On the other side was a light brown, female mouse wearing a large blue bow on her head and bright blue eye shadow. She was filing her nails with a serious look on her face. She blew off the shavings, completely ignoring Nibbles' exclamation. However, her eyes seemed to levitate off her fingertips as she made eye contact with your male companion. She gave him a sinister smile, or at least that is what you saw.

Just like Jerry, the female mouse had very little to say. Jerry was completely star-struck by her beauty; causing a boiling feeling to rise in your chest. The two brown mice seemed to have a starring contest before Toots used her finger to beckon your friend over. He walked over to her without a second thought, causing even more anger to surface. Why did you feel this way? She was just a woman for pete's sake!

You felt someone tug on your arm. You broke out of your thoughts to look down at young Nibbles.

"That is Miss Toots," the gray mouse said. "She's Uncle Jerry's ex-girlfriend."

A sigh of relief left your chest. Something about that statement seemed to calm your nerves.

"So, why is she in a jail cell?" you asked.

"Um...I am not sure. I believe she was part of some gang, I-I think."

At this statement, your eyes shrinked with fear. "Y-you don't mean the Rascal Rodents?"

"That's it!!"

You had heard about this gang before! They were a group of female mice that used their beauty to pawn unsuspecting males into their clutches. After that, they would convince them to steal them food, jewelry, and other possessions. However, once their use had ended, the females would send their "boyfriends" on suicide missions. They were on of the lowest group of criminals known to the rodent realm. They were greedy, selfish, and unfeeling.

You figured that Toots was just going to use your friend for her escape. If that happened, Jerry would become a criminal for releasing her from prison. You immediately pulled Jerry away from the female. Her eyes filled with anger once you took her ticket to freedom. Jerry was still in a daze, but you knew that once he remembered who she really was, he would never look her way.

"Do you know where we could find one of Jerry's friends?" you asked, your hands firmly on your hips.

Toots simply shrugged, obviously not wanting to talk to you. You grew angry. You didn't like talking to this girl at all, but she was your only lead right now. On instinct, you grabbed the female's hair bow. She immediately dropped her file as she tried to grab it back. However, you were quick and pulled the bow far away from her before taking a few steps back. You held the bow with a tight grip, both hands on the blue band.

"Tell me what you know, or..." you slowly began to tug on the hair accessory. Small tears erupted from the fragile fibers in the fabric.

Toots looked at you in absolute fear before switching to anger. She simply shook her head in response. You shrugged your shoulders before tearing it a bit more, a visible cut appearing.

"Southbound Farms!!" Toots exclaimed. You looked at her with a serious glare, wanting more information. "Quacker the Duck, he lives there."

You threw the hair bow back to her. She barely caught it, and looked at you with pure hatred. You pulled Jerry away with young Nibbles following behind. The brown mouse was still in a daze, but instead of the criminal, he was staring at you.