How (Not) to Meet a Jewel Thief

Sunday, August 14th

10:02 PM

Emerson was halfway home when she heard her police scanner pick up a signal. It crackled before revealing that the uncaught Kitty Cat Burglar had triggered the alarm at Hudson's Jewelry Department. The brunette quickly made a u-turn into the nearest store, and rushed into the bathroom, sticking a 'Under Construction' sign on the door. She locked the door behind her before swiftly checking if anyone was in any of the stalls.

None were, so she took that as her cue to start to changing into her suit. A form fitting, navy blue, leather catsuit, which she had embroidered with feathers to fit her persona as Nightengale, the Summerlin City vigilante. Her fingers worked quickly to braid her hair behind her head, and as soon as that was done she grabbed the last piece of her costume out of her bag.

The mask was gold, as far as masquerade masks go, it could be considered plain, but it looked nice and was molded perfectly to her face, so the heroine was quite fond of it. Emerson quickly put it on her face and stuffed her bag behind the toilet of one of the stalls just in case someone came with the key to get in.

The brunette stood on top of the counter and messed with the grill over the vent. It popped off soon enough and Emerson was able to jump up into the ventilation system. It took her a few minutes, but soon she got to the roof. And then she was off racing down the rooftops, at some point she saw thee police cars, a good 5 blocks away from the robbery, stuck in traffic. She continued jumping between buildings until she got to the one next to the jewelry store.

Emerson could see a figure pulling themselves out of a hole in the ceiling. She narrowed her eyes when she spotted the glint of a gem peaking out from the thief's hand as she put it in a small bag. All she could see of the burglar from this distance was blonde hair. Emerson stalked forward and jumped over the gap between buildings, her feet making a faint ping when she landed. She could almost touch the perpetrator when they spun around.

She expected the Kitty Cat Burglar to punch her in the face. She expected the Kitty Cat Burglar to push her off the roof. The one thing that Emerson didn't expect them to do was squeak and pepper spray her in the face. Which was exactly what she did.

While Emerson was trying to get the burning liquid out of her eyes, she could hear the criminal getting away. When she was able to finally open her eyes she was blinded by police lights pointing at her. The brunette growled lowly and swiveled her head around to try and spot where she'd gone. Emerson spotted the black clad girl 7 buildings away and took off, ignoring all of the police officers telling her to give herself up 'for the greater good'.

For the following ten minutes Emerson was chasing the Kitty Cat Burglar, it was additional three minutes before she actually caught up. She grabbed the girl's shoulder and spun her around. She was met with a face clad in a black mask and framed by blonde hair.

The girl smiled, "Nice to see you Nightingale. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Emerson scowled at her, taking a swing at the green eyed bandit. The thief ducked, running under the brunette, spraying more pepper spray, and jumping down from one section of the roof to another.

"See you later birdie!" the Kitty Cat Burglar called behind her, "and you can call me Kitty next time!"

Emerson screamed in frustration. She still had to get to the law firm the next morning and sleep was something that she very much appreciated. So, when her eyes finally stopped burning, she trudged back to the shop where she'd left her things and then she went home.