Chapter 12

Chapter 12

This weekend is going to be family weekend. Sigh. My family thought it would be a bright idea for us to stay at a hotel for the weekend, just the thought of me, plus mum, plus dad drives me insane. The hotel is cosy and modern; the stretched pool blue and calm relaxes my intense instincts that this weekend is going to be a weekend of torture.

Mum's drinking and dad bringing back any girl that falls on her knees won't be good enough. Ever since Lucy died, I've been the pillar. I'd hide away mum's bottles of Vodka, wine etcetera. I would wash dad's clothes, scrub them clean and away from the feminine fragrance that does not belong to mum.

I stretch my legs into the pool, the refreshing water swimming up my legs relaxing me. The sound of the nearby beach sends me into a tranquil state of mind while the waves crash upon the sand, deleting every line on the sand, every memory – every happiness. It reminds me of my family. We were happy, content, one big happy family. Dad thirstily inlove with mum, mum drunk on dad's love, Lucy sticking the family together into the unbreakable bond that was now broken. But her death is a wave, and our happiness is a line in the sand, washed and corroded with a single rush of water.

My skin feels like burning underneath the hot sun, my legs feel warm and comfortable. I swish my legs back and forth, creating slight commotion and disturbance to the rest of the swimmers in the pool. Varying from elders to adults, to even toddlers with floaties, relying on their parents and floaties to prevent them from drowning. I wish I had my floaties, I wish I had Ava to protect me from drowning and sinking into the darker depths of myself.

"Hey." A finger taps my shoulder and I let out a shriek. My heart pops out of my chest and I place my hand over it to calm myself down.

I turn around and there she is, beautiful as usual. Her long brown hair falling in beach waves, her emerald eyes shimmering underneath the summer sky. And with one gentle push on my back, she shoves me into the pool – face first slamming into the harsh water, I feel like I'm drowning but at the same time I feel safe. My heart gentles and I bob my head up to the surface, I wipe my hair away from my face and I see her proudly standing in her bikini staring at the state of me.

"You are going to pay." I squeal as I swim towards the edge of the pool, snatch her ankle and pull her into the pool with me, sending her splashing and swishing into the cold water.

-

"I prefer this." She giggles as we lay on the pool lounge chairs, our towels sucking away the water dripping off our body. "Sipping on mojitos as we gossip."

"Indeed. This is the life." I hear myself smiling, and she smiles back. Our lounge chairs sit side by side as we have the perfect view of both the pool, which is on our left, and of the serene beach on our right.

"So, I guess I'm butting in your holiday." She winks.

"No, you're family. Can't wait for dinner tonight." I groan sarcastically at the thought of having to enjoy a meal and cocktails at the restaurant with my parents.

-

The evening sky is summery and inviting. The stars clinging for life into the dark sky, the pearl moon miserable and alone. The bar next to the pool glitters with the fairy lights that are stringed onto it, giving it a romantic essence. Colourful lanterns hang above on the trees, glowing against the darkness. Tables are placed near to the bar and waiters dressed in penguin-like suits hold a silver tray and waddle around taking orders from exquisite guests.

I look down at my outfit and feel underdressed. Mum and dad are ahead of Ava and me. They are trying to find a table while Ava and I are patiently standing by the sign that begs, "Please wait to be seated."