Wait Till Dark

Wait Till Dark

     Darkness hasn't bothered me in ten months. He made me afraid of dark spaces and I couldn't relax in my own room. It's my parents anniversary, so they flew went to Bora Bora.

It's midnight when I hear a thumping noise.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

      I climb off the couch and tiptoe down the hallway towards the staircase. Bare feet meet the cold wooded stairs as I hesitantly walk up them. I'm careful not to make a sound. At the landing I peer down the hallway looking for the source of the sound. What could make such a sound? After finding no source I run downstairs and back to the living room. Before I can go through the doorway there's a loud knock at the door.

     The booming sound vibrates through my ears. I stand frozen in place contemplating whether I should open the door or not. It could be one of my neighbors, but knocking that loudly. After the thumping I let my mind wander and make up strange scenarios. I'm about to open the door when the lights switch off. My hands brush against the wall in search of the light switch. It appears I've found something solid, but it's warm... Now that I think about it it resembles a finger.

     I walk backwards while screaming and trip. Suddenly, the room is filled with light. I whip my head in every direction and catch a glimpse of a body stick to the wall. Her still body has scratches covering her from head to toe. Purple handprints wrapped around her neck. With closer inspection my eyes land on a piece of paper hidden in her grasp. Leather fingers grab onto my skin as I force myself to remove the note from her icy grasp.

Inside the note was my biggest fear:

Did you miss me?
~Darkness

     My throat starts to close up as I frantically run to the kitchen. The knife drawer is empty. Panicking I run upstairs to my room. A sigh of relief escapes my mouth when I find my purse laying on my bed. In my purse lays my keys and phone. I jump down the stairs, thankfully without tripping. One yank of the front door shows it's locked. I turn both locks and the door still doesn't open.

     The door appears to be glued shut. Without wasting any time, I flee to the garage. I jump gleefully when the garage door opens. I jog to my parents red Honda and lock the doors. In a swift movement I start the car and cold bony hands cradle my neck. The grip tightens as every second goes by. I try with no avail to break his grasp. My throat and chest feel on fire as my throat closes up.

     Looking in the mirror, I can tell it's Darkness. After gasping for air for about five minutes or what felt like an eternity, he lets go. Before catching my breath I jump out of the car and run inside the house. Darkness' hands reach for my neck again and I pull away. I'm not quick enough and he catches me.

     I find myself in the front seat of the car again. As he slams my face over and over into the steering wheel. The horn sounds as my face squishes repeatedly into the rough leather. After a few minutes of struggling I break free.

     I jump from the car and into the house. I run across the kitchen floor and grab a roll of paper towels. I speed to the bathroom and lock the door. One look in the mirror makes me scream. There's blood dripping from my left brow. My nose is resembles Rudolph's, purple hand marks are displayed on my neck, and I a green bruise begins forming on my forehead. I hisss as I try to clean up the mess but soon the pain gets too unbearable. I'm walking past the shower to throw the paper towel out, when I'm get thrown backward.

Crack.

     The back of my head slams into the shower. The back of my head grows warm as the sticky red liquid drips down my neck, back and onto the floor...

••Author's Note••
Thank you for taking the time to read The Darkness Is Coming

Remember to vote and comment.
©Lynzey

The Darkness is Coming✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें