Prologue

Long ago, there was once a species of light and life. They lived in prosperity and peace deep within their hidden valley, only leaving their home to help heal the wounded from wars - elves, men and dwarves alike. The Nymali were a wide-respected race, as they were very powerful healers; and although they were typically a neutral people who never cared much for violence, they were a force to be reckoned with should anyone cross them.

This was because their bloodline originated from those of both dwarfish and elfish ancestry, as well as something all their own. Nymali people were easily recognized by their appearance: they inherited their height from their dwarfish ancestors, as well as their beauty and gracefulness from their elvish ancestors. More noticeably, whenever a Nymali used their ability to heal, there were elegant swirls that appeared to glow on their skin. Each Nymali family had their own unique design to signify which family they belonged to - and royal Nymali's swirls glowed golden while all others' glowed silver instead.

Among these Nymali, there was a girl born unto a prophecy, which spoke of the Nymali's Viator and how she will overcome death and destruction, embracing her gifts so that she will bring fortune to the memory of her people and protect those she loves... although it will come at a price.

Davina, Princess of the Nymali, daughter of King Typhon and Queen Sidel, neglected the thought that she was the Viator, no matter how obvious it was. No other Nymali was ever given the gift of foresight, nor were they given the gift of astral projection. She struggled with the weight upon her shoulders of the expectation her people had for her - they all expected her to grow up and do something miraculous and wonderful, when all she wanted to do was live her life without feeling as though she needed to make everyone proud of her.

This was why, on the day everything fell apart, Davina was seeking peace and quiet by the river while everyone else was celebrating the summer solstice. The Nymali people were natural lovers of light and warmth, so naturally they saw it fit to celebrate every oncoming summer. Although Davina shared this belief and would love to celebrate as well, she was too overwhelmed to be able to enjoy herself.

She had been having strange dreams the past few weeks, all consisting of horrible things. Though she could not remember much, Davina gathered a few details: people were screaming in fear and pain, there was a lot of death and fire - and each time Davina woke, she was trembling as tears leaked from her eyes.

Unbeknownst to her, this had been a premonition.

Because of Davina's refusal to accept her powers, they were not working correctly. If she had accepted them, Davina would have been fully aware that her dream was actually a vision and would have been able to recall everything that happened in it. However, because she was in denial, her vision was more befuddled and confusing - causing her to not even consider the fact that it was a premonition.

It wasn't until she heard someone shouting, "Orcs!", and various cries of fear did the thought occur to Davina that there was something more to her dreams than she had thought. Pushing herself to her feet, she hurried over to the village where the celebration had been taking place. Davina pushed her way through the crowd of Nymali until she found her family, and her breath caught in her throat when she saw the army of Orcs headed in their direction. "This cannot be," her father whispered in disbelief.

"How did they find our village, Typhon?" Queen Sidel asked her husband worriedly. You see, there had previously been a protective barrier around the Nymali Valley, preventing anyone from entering unless directly invited by a Nymali person and escorted into the valley by them.

"Something is wrong with the barrier," Davina said as her younger brother and sister, Fallon and Serafine, moved closer to her.

"It's not just the barrier," King Typhon told his daughter quietly. "There is a darkness growing in Middle Earth, and I fear the worst is coming."