Chapter 13

"You should have agreed."

Davina glanced up to see Legolas standing outside her cell, an unreadable look etched across his face. "Excuse me?"

"You should have taken my father's offer."

She raised an eyebrow. "Do you even know what kind of deal he tried to make with me?"

Legolas sighed. "Yes," he admitted. His father had informed him shortly after Davina was sent down to the dungeons. Although he wasn't particularly in favor of marrying someone he did not know, he would do so if it was what his father wanted. And besides, the alternative to Davina refusing the deal... it wasn't very favorable for her. "But you should have agreed, anyway."

Davina scoffed as she stood to her feet and approached the bars of her cell, clearly taking his words the wrong way. "You are just like him. Utinu en lokirim," she spat.

He glared at her. "My father is not a snake." The snickers from all of the eavesdropping dwarfs stated their differing opinion on the matter. Even Thorin cracked a smile -- his little spitfire never ceased to amuse him.

"On the contrary. He's one of the biggest snakes I've ever known," Davina retorted, her voice curt and harsh. "The simple notion of the two of you thinking I would so easily betray the Company's trust over something as petty as a string of gems clearly conveys the fact that you do not know me -- nor do you know what loyalty is," she continued angrily. "How dare you tell me I should turn my back on the only people who have made me feel like I belong somewhere?"

"I know what loyalty is," Legolas disagreed defensively. "You know me as well as I know you -- not at all. Do not patronize me simply because you misinterpret what I am trying to tell you. I'm not worried about the gems."

"What are you trying to tell me?" She demanded. "That I should have agreed to take your hand in marriage?" Legolas blanched -- so did Thorin, but the dwarf's reaction had went unnoticed to her. "I will not marry someone I do not love, especially if I have feelings for another. Nor would I expect you do the same."

"What do you mean?" Legolas asked quietly, though he already knew.

Davina smiled. "I see the way your gaze follows her when she is around," she told him. "The elleth warrior."

"Tauriel," he murmured.

She nodded. "She holds your heart."

Legolas didn't agree nor disagree, but it was clear by the way he averted his gaze that she was correct. "I have no chance with her."

"Why not?" Davina demanded. "Because it would not make your father happy?"

"I have a duty to my father --"

"No, you have a duty to yourself," she disagreed firmly. "All this talk about doing what your father says, about getting his approval and making him happy... What about your happiness, Legolas? Does that not matter?"

He would not meet her gaze. "Sometimes one must sacrifice a few things for the good of his kingdom."

"I am no good for your kingdom," Davina told him honestly, her voice calmer now. "Your father and I would be at each other's throats every day."

The elf prince cracked an amused smile. "That would be an amusing thing to witness as the days go by."

She snorted. "I'm sure," the woman drawled sarcastically.

Legolas looked back up and met her gaze again, his eyes now showing some sort of respect for the Nymali. "I do not think marrying you would be a bad thing," he admitted. Across the corridor in the corner of his cell, Thorin seethed. How dare the elf try to sweet-talk Davina? "You have a kind heart. You would be a good companion."