Chapter 6

"This was your plan all along," Thorin said to Gandalf, his tone full of accusation as he set Davina on her feet and slung her arm over his shoulder to support her. "To seek refuge with our enemy."

"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield," Gandalf retorted. It was clear by his voice that his patience with the dwarf's stubborn pride was thinning by the moment. "The only ill-will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself."

"You think the elves will give us their blessing?" Thorin demanded, his eyes hard. "They will try to stop us."

"Of course they will," Gandalf agreed easily. "But we have questions that need to be answered. If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact. And respect. And no small degree of charm." He paused. "Which is why you will leave the talking to me... and Davina, once her wound has been tended to." Thorin glanced over at the Nymali to see her rolling her eyes at Gandalf. The wizard noticed and chuckled. "Don't give me that look, Davina. You and I both know Lord Elrond has a soft spot for you."

Thorin raised his eyebrows at Davina once the Company began moving across the bridge. "You are close with these elves?" He asked. His tone was guarded, carefully spoken with a faux-light tone. Though he could not deny himself feeling a tad jealous when he thought about Davina giving any elf the time of day.

"My mother used to be," Davina told him, gripping his shoulder tightly as he supported her while they walked. "Nymali are Healers; elves learned a lot from us and we them. Elrond and my mother were very close once upon a time."

"Oh." Thorin let the subject drop as they crossed the bridge, seeing a dark-haired elf hurry down the flight of stairs to greet them.

"Mithrandir!" He greeted Gandalf. Then, upon seeing Davina, his smile widened. "Fallaner!"

Fallaner was the name Davina was known by to the elves; of course they knew her real name, but since she was a friend of the elves, they gifted her with a name of her own much like they had done with Gandalf. Fallaner meant Healer, which suited Davina fairly well. However, it was also the name Elrond had christened her mother with, so Davina wasn't particularly fond of being called it as well. In her eyes, she could never amount to anything like Sidel had.

Still, she did not voice her complaints; and even with her leg throbbing in pain, managed a small smile at Lindir. "Hello, Lindir," she said quietly.

His eyes widened when he took notice of Davina's wound. "You are injured!"

"Thank you for your observational skills," she said wryly. "I was wondering where all of this blood was coming from." The dwarfs, Thorin included, all chuckled at Davina's sarcasm toward the elf; even Lindir cracked a smile, knowing that sarcasm was her defense mechanism and that it was her way of dealing with stressful situations. He took no offense, as he was used to her ways of speaking by now.

"Lastannem i athrannedh i Vruinen," Lindir said to she and Gandalf, speaking in his common tongue.

"We must speak with Lord Elrond," Gandalf told him.

Lindir frowned. "My lord Elrond is not here."

"Not here?" Davina asked, taken by surprise. "Where is he?"

Lindir opened his mouth to respond, but the elvish horns being blown cut off his words of explanation. Everyone turned around to see a group of armed elves approaching along the bridge, their horses moving quickly. "Ifridî bekâr!" Thorin ordered his Company, using his free hand to pull out his sword. "Hold ranks!" Immediately, the dwarfs pulled together in a tight circle, pushing Bilbo and Davina, who was being held tightly by Thorin, to the center. Their weapons were held outward, letting the approaching elves know that they were ready to fight should they be provoked.