Chapter 4

"We'll camp here for the night," Thorin decided as the company arrived at an old, abandoned farmhouse. "Fili, Kili, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them. Oin, Gloin, get a fire going."

Davina unmounts from Beau and strokes his muzzle briefly, exchanging a worried look with Gandalf. The two approaches the farmhouse together, and the woman picks up some soot, moving it around between her thumb and pointing finger to examine it. "This home was burned down within the last two nights, Gandalf," she told the Wizard quietly as Thorin approached, her eyebrows pulled together. "I do not think it is safe here; whatever burned this place down and murdered this family may still be around."

Gandalf nodded as Thorin reached them, glancing over the ruined farmhouse as well. "I think it would be wiser to move on," he told the dwarf lord. "We could make for the hidden valley."

"I have told you already: I will not go near that place," Thorin said dismissively.

"Why not?" Gandalf demanded. "The elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice."

"I do not need their advice."

Davina would have voiced her opinion, had she not known she was still on rocky ground with the Company's leader already. Instead she opted to keep her mouth shut and let Gandalf do the talking; to his credit, the Wizard had managed to be patient longer than Davina had expected – though she knew it probably wouldn't last long, given Thorin's stubborn demeanor. "We have a map that we cannot read," Gandalf told Thorin, trying to reason with him. "Lord Elrond could help us."

"Help?" Thorin echoed mockingly, anger twisting within his expression. "A dragon attacks Erebor – what help came from the elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls – the elves looked on and did nothing," he snapped at the old wizard. "You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather and betrayed my father."

"You are neither of them," Gandalf told him. Davina shifted on her feet next to Thorin awkwardly; she could see her friend's patience wilting within the seconds. "I did not give you that map and key for you to hold onto the past."

Thorin's jaw clenched, his eyes burning as he glared at Gandalf. "I did not know they were yours to keep," he snapped.

The wizard's expression darkened considerably, and then he stormed off in frustration and annoyance. Davina didn't bother to follow him; she knew he needed time to cool off. Bilbo, however, saw the reproaching wizard and looked on in confusion. "Everything alright?" He called out. "Gandalf, where are you going?"

"To seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense," the wizard retorted angrily.

"Who's that?"

"Myself, Mister Baggins!" Gandalf exclaimed. Davina snorted and rolled her eyes at Gandalf's temper – he was so melodramatic at times.

Beside her, Thorin watched him go with stony eyes before telling the cook, "Come on, Bombur. We're hungry."

As the heavy-set dwarf hurried to fix up something to eat, Davina turned to Thorin. "He is right, you know," she told him quietly. "No matter how infuriating it may be." Thorin just gave her a flat look, and Davina sighed. "I do not blame you for the ill feelings you harbor toward the elves – in fact, to a certain extent, I agree with you."

He seemed surprised at this, but knew she had something else to add. "But..." he prompted, waiting for her to make her point.

Davina pursed her lips, meeting his gaze before turning to look out over the rest of the company as they prepared camp for the night. "The fact remains that if we want to find that door, we will need someone who is able to read that map," she concluded. Thorin said nothing; Davina's lips twitched into a gentle smile and she clasped his shoulder briefly. "Just think about it," she said before walking away. Thorin watched her go in silent annoyance; he knew she spoke the truth, and that Gandalf was right – but that didn't mean he would willingly go and thrice ask help from elves only to be turned down once again.