Chapter 12

The Company's venture through Mirkwood was slow and confused. The dark enchantments of the forest were taking a toll on everyone; while Davina and Bilbo found it somewhat easier to keep hold of their wits, they still struggled.

Davina found herself wishing time and time again that they would have just been able to go around the forest rather than through it. Her inner eye seemed to feel a bit fuzzy, as though her precognition abilities were temporarily invalid while within Mirkwood's forest. This caused her to wonder about her other abilities, as well; so when Dori snagged his arm on a branch and scraped it, she attempted to heal it -- to no avail. And during the first night they stopped to try and rest, she failed to use her astral projection, too. It was decided: Davina hated this place more than any other she had been in before, simply because it made it impossible to use any of her abilities. She knew not how -- perhaps the dark enchantments affected her -- but nevertheless, most of her interactions with the others were few and far between, since she spent most of her time seething over how useless she felt.

"We found the bridge!" One of the dwarfs called out. Davina and Bilbo followed Bofur up to the edge of the bridge, only to find that there was a large portion missing. Unfortunately, the gap was too large to be able to jump across. "We can try and swim it," Bofur suggested as the three of them stared down at the murky waters. Davina swallowed and looked away from it, not liking how her mind seemed to go even hazier.

"Didn't you hear what Gandalf said?" Thorin demanded, immediately vetoing the idea. "A dark magic lies upon this forest. The waters of this stream are enchanted."

"Doesn't look very enchanting to me," Bofur grumbled bitterly.

"We must find another way across," Thorin continued, ignoring him.

There was a few groans throughout the Company, as multiple members detested having to spend any more time in this forest than they already had. Davina and Bilbo exchanged a look as they tried to find any way to cross the stream, but they weren't having much luck until Kili got everyone's attention. "These vines look strong enough," he said.

"Kili!" Thorin reprimanded his nephew, who had started to climb the vines. The youngest Durin stopped and turned, confused. "We send the lightest first," the leader explained.

Almost immediately, all eyes turned upon Davina and Bilbo. Seeing that he'd gathered unwanted attention, the hobbit turned his gaze upon his companion as well. Although Davina was an inch or two taller, she still weighed about he same as him; and anyway, Bilbo just didn't want to have to go first.

The Viator huffed. "Alright," she said evenly, not hesitating to walk over to where Kili stood by the vines that crossed the stream. During her years of wandering Middle-earth, Davina had grown accustomed to different regions and landscapes; this was nothing new to her. For that reason, the woman easily scaled the vines, careful not to look down at the water at all. As soon as she made it to the other side, Bilbo was on his way across. But something was eating at her mind, scratching against her inner eye -- she felt as though it was some sort of warning, although she didn't quite understand any of it. "Bilbo!" She called out to her friend, trying to gain his attention. "Bilbo, wait, don't --"

But it was too late. The hobbit had lost his footing and nearly fell into the water, and for a moment Davina worried the enchantments would ensnare Bilbo's mind, but he snapped himself out of it and crossed the rest of the way. "Something's... not right," he murmured to himself as Davina helped him to his feet. He blinked rapidly and turned, telling the Company, "Stay where you are!"

"It's no use," Davina said with a sigh. She hadn't bothered trying to tell the dwarfs not to cross, as Thorin and Dwalin began doing just that as soon as Bilbo made it halfway, and even if she had they wouldn't have listened.