Chapter 22

Davina stood in the old abandoned library, her hand placed softly between Balin's shoulder blades as she tried to calm him down. The elderly dwarf was trying not to cry, and so was she -- seeing Thorin like this really hurt both of them, but Davina knew it was worse for Balin, who had seen Thror go through the same thing all those years ago. "We'll figure something out, Balin," she told him quietly, her own eyes blinking back the tears that stung at them. "There has to be a way to help."

"I wish I could share your optimism, lassie," Balin said miserably. "But I can't."

The tentative, approaching footsteps of Bilbo momentarily drew their attention away as they glanced over at him. "Dragon-sickness," Balin told the hobbit, sniffling. "I've seen it before: that look, the terrible need... It is a fierce and jealous love, Bilbo." He took a deep, shaky breath. "It sent his grandfather mad."

Bilbo glanced over at Davina, his eyes saddened at this news, before turning back to the dwarf. He knew that he'd asked his best friend the same question earlier, but it couldn't help getting Balin's advice on the matter as well. Bilbo was desperate to find a way to help Thorin. "But if... If Thorin had the Arkenstone... if it was found... Would it help?"

Balin looked at Bilbo closely, his gaze shifting to Davina's knowing eyes as well. And although neither of them said anything, he understood: one of them held the Arkenstone, but they were afraid of what would happen if they gave it to Thorin. "That stone crowns all. It is the summit of this great wealth, bestowing power upon he who wears it," he said carefully. "Would it stay his madness? No, laddie... I fear it may make it worse." He shot them a very pointed look as he added quietly, "Perhaps it is best if it remains lost."

Davina worried her lip between her teeth. "Theoretically," she began, "if it was destroyed -- do you think that would help?" Balin's eyes lit up with thought at this proposition, thinking it over. "I mean... the stone is the source of the dragon-sickness, is it not? That's where it all started... So if it was destroyed..."

Balin nodded slowly. "I think you may be onto something, Davina," he admitted. "The only question that remains is how it would be destroyed." She frowned, considering all things as she tried to find a way to destroy the stone. Balin stepped closer, his voice lowering even more, wanting to make sure no one would overhear. "If one could theoretically make it to the forges without being noticed, perhaps the temperatures of the fire could solve this problem."

Twenty minutes later, Davina and Bilbo were sitting on an old stone bench in silence. They knew what they had to do, but weren't quite sure how they were going to get it done. There was probably no way to go down to the forges without being noticed, or at least being gone for a certain period of time before their absence was noted.

As if to solidify this thought, Thorin suddenly appeared from around the corner, his gaze accusing as he glared at Bilbo's clenched fist. "What is that?" Bilbo looked up at him, confused. "In your hand!" He snapped.

"It -- it -- it's nothing," Bilbo stammered, jumping to his feet. Davina remained in her spot on the bench, watching Thorin's expression intently. The doubt and suspicion in his eyes was never there before, not even back when he didn't particularly like the hobbit. She knew it was the sickness polluting his mind, the absence of the Arkenstone causing him to believe he was being betrayed.

In a way, he was... but that was besides the point.

"Show me," he demanded.

Bilbo cleared his throat, glancing at Davina before turning back and holding his hand out, fingers stretched open. On his small palm lay an acorn, surprising and confusing Thorin as he looked down at it. "I picked it up in Beorn's garden," he said.