Chapter 28

"Davina!" Bilbo exclaimed, maneuvering his way between Dwalin and Bifur as he flung himself past Fili and threw his arms around his closest friend. Davina laughed softly, her upper body falling back just a bit at the sudden force before she regained her composure and hugged him back. "I am so very glad to see you awake!"

Davina smiled as Bilbo pulled away from her. "It is so good to see you, Bilbo. It is good to see all of you." Her gaze drifted over each face of the Company, until finally falling upon Thorin's, where he stood shell-shocked just in front of the doorway. "Thorin..."

Silence fell within the room as the two of them looked at each other. Balin cleared his throat, clapping his hands on Bofur and Ori's back as he tilted his head toward the door. "Alright, everyone, let's give them a bit of privacy, eh?"

One by one, the Company slid past Thorin and exited the room quietly. The dwarf shook away his shock and crossed the room, sitting on the edge of Davina's bed. His palms twitched with the urge to reach for her, but he refrained as guilt rose within him once more. "Davina," he began, his voice laced with heavy emotion, "I apologize from the deepest of my heart for all that I have done to you since reaching this mountain."

"Thorin..."

"The gold-sickness is no excuse for my actions, or the horrible things I said to you." Thorin's gaze drifted down to her neck, where the dark bruises he had left on her delicate skin had finally began to fade into a yellowish-green color. He swallowed thickly and looked down at his hands. "To know that... To know that I placed these hands upon you with any intention other than caring for you... I can never forgive myself."

"Thorin..."

"You must know how deeply I regret ever having wronged you," he went on, hardly even hearing her soft voice call his name once more. "I should never have doubted your loyalty, nor said the things I did, or harmed you, and above all I should have never went back on my pledge to make you my wife. Davina, I --"

"Thorin," Davina interrupted once more, her voice firm and yet full of emotion. He finally stopped and looked to her with wide eyes. "I already told you, just after the battle, that there is nothing to forgive. Will you please stop with your incessant worrying and apologies?" She gave him a smile as her hazel eyes grew watery, and then held her arms out to him. "I simply wish for you to hold me... if that is not asking too much."

Thorin let out a breathy, incredulous laugh. "It is not asking much at all," he said, moving closer and pulling her into his chest. Davina folded herself into his arms, tucking her face into the crook of his neck as he kissed the top of her head. "I wish to hold you for the rest of my days," the dwarf confessed quietly.

Davina hummed against his neck, her lips twisting into a small smirk. "Unfortunately, I do not think a King can fulfill all of his duties if he wastes his time like this."

He chuckled, pulling away slightly and using one hand to tilt her head up so he could look at her. "Your sense of sarcasm never falters, does it?"

"Never."

The corner of his mouth twitched upward as his blue eyes searched her hazel ones. "Davina..." A small sigh escaped his throat as his expression faltered. "I have no right to ask this of you... but would you still have me? As your husband?"

"Of course I will have you. Today, tomorrow, and every day after it," Davina told him immediately, her hand softly resting over the one he caressed her cheek with. "I can think of no one better to spend the rest of my life with."

Thorin smiled then, shaking his head slightly before resting his forehead upon hers. "I do not deserve you," he whispered, closing his eyes. "You are the epitome... of all that is good in this world."