Chapter 26

When Davina finally reached Ravenhill, she checked the towers first thing, as they were closest to her. As the Nymali was rounding a corner inside one, she was nearly shot with one of Kili's arrows. He gasped when he realized it was her, but she cut him off before he could say anything. "Where is your brother?"

"Scouting above," he answered.

She scowled. "Damn it, Kili, I told you two to stick together! Come with me!"

Rushing past him, the dwarf quickly followed behind as they ran up the stairs. They were just in time to see Azog dragging Fili by the hair, with four orcs behind them. Davina and Kili trailed closely behind, as quiet as they could so as not to attract any attention and put Fili's life at risk any more than it already was.

"This one dies first!" Azog shouted in his native language, holding Fili up in the air. They could only guess he was speaking to Thorin and Dwalin, who Davina knew must have been outside on the other end of the tower; she'd come from a different side and therefore hadn't seen them yet. "Then the brother... then you, Oakenshield. You will die last."

Davina and Kili looked at each other, and she gestured for him to hand her one of his daggers and then move on her command.

At the same time, the two of them jumped out of hiding. Davina threw the dagger into one of the orc's heads, killing him instantly; then she used her sword to decapitate another. Kili shot his arrows into the heads of the other two orcs as Azog turned to see what all the commotion was about.

Before he could fully see what had happened, Davina had thrown herself at him. Fili was knocked out of his grasp as the crimson-haired Nymali tumbled to the ground with the only thing she had ever feared. "You," Azog hissed in anger. He raised his arm, intending to bring his blade down upon her head, but was distracted by Kili's arrows flying at him.

Davina pushed herself out from underneath Azog and ran. "Go!" She shouted to Fili and Kili, pulling them toward the doorway that would lead to the stairs. Perhaps she would have stayed and tried to defeat Azog between the three of them; but Davina knew that Bolg was there, as well, and they could not defeat the two strongest orcs even together. Her top priority was getting Fili and Kili to safety, and if they had to do so by fleeing, then so be it.

"Davina," Thorin breathed, a bit of hope beginning to spread within him once more at the realization that his love was alive after all. She had saved Fili, and Kili was with her as well.

He needed to get to them and assure their safety; but before he was able to find them, he was intercepted by Azog.

Together, Davina and the two brothers ran, killing any orcs they came across along the way. They had just approached two of them when a familiar voice shouted, "Kili!"

"Tauriel!" Kili shouted back, holding an orc so Davina could kill it while Fili took care of the other one.

Her sudden cry of pain spurred all three of them to move faster. Davina knew part of what was coming next, but the hands of fate had already been changed when they saved Fili. While she was confident they could defeat Bolg all together, she could only hope that Dwalin had managed to stay with Thorin.

Kili jumped onto Bolg's back before he could deliver the fatal blow to the elf on the ground in front of him. Bolg stumbled back and threw him off, but Fili intercepted the orc before he could attack his brother. He swung his sword at the creature, who dodged it as Davina jumped onto Bolg's back just as Kili had done only moments before. She wrapped one arm around his neck and used her other to cover Bolg's eyes so he wouldn't be able to see any attacks Fili and Kili made.

Kili pulled himself back up as Fili dodged a blind swipe of Bolg's mace. The younger Durin yanked out his bow and shot an arrow at Bolg's heart, but it simply rebounded off of the armor without even causing any damage.