Chapter 8

The Company departed at dawn, giving Davina and Thorin both only a handful of hours to rest. She didn't mind, however; Rivendell had made her restless and she was a bit happy to leave it behind. Although it was a lovely place, she had never been able to visit it for too long simply because it reminded her too much of the Nymali Valley and brought back unwanted memories. So when Thorin announced that everyone needed to ready their things, Davina did so quickly and without protest. She helped Bilbo ready his things as well, seeing as how the hobbit was still not quite used to travelling and was a bit slow getting everything set.

"Be on your guard; we're about to step over the edge of the Wild," Thorin told the Company as they scaled around the mountain on a small edge. He stopped and turned, watching as everyone made their way along the small path. "Balin, you know these paths; lead on." The white-haired dwarf happily did as told, and Thorin nodded his thanks to him before his gaze searched for a familiar head of soft, wavy red hair. Davina was walking in front of Bilbo, but she stopped when she realized the hobbit had as well. Seeing her gesture for him to follow the others and Bilbo's obvious reluctance to be leaving Rivendell, Thorin spoke up. "Master Baggins, I suggest you keep up."

For the next few days, the Company hardly stopped for rest. They were all concerned as to whether or not they would reach Erebor in time for Durin's Day, so even though many of them wished for nothing more to have a good night's sleep and a few moments to regain their energy, no one dared to complain. Soon enough, they were crossing the Misty Mountains on narrow trail that had Davina staying as close to the mountain's side as she possibly could. She walked behind Fili and in front of Bofur, though she constantly looked over her shoulder to check on Bilbo's well-being. Of the lot of them, it was common knowledge that Bilbo was the most naïve and the least capable of journey, seeing as how this was all new to him. Davina couldn't deny that she felt protective over him, in the same way she felt protective over Ori – they both reminded her of innocent children.

The rain pelted on everyone's backs as they scaled the mountain. Davina had given up trying to keep her cloak's hood over her head, as the wind whipped it off every time. By now, her hair was completely soaked and clinging to her face, causing her to swipe it out of her eyes so she could see. She kept one hand on the mountain's wall and the other on Fili's back, helping her to keep her balance as they walked.

"Ori!" Someone suddenly shouted in fear. Davina turned to see Ori nearly falling off the cliff, but Dori had managed to grab his tunic and yank him back. However, Ori bent down and clasped his ankle, unable to walk on it. "He's sprained his ankle!" Dori called out. "Thorin, we must stop!"

"We cannot!" Thorin responded, raising his voice so it would be heard over the wind. "It is not safe!"

"But he cannot walk!"

"Make way!" Davina said, lightly maneuvering around the dwarfs behind her as she went to Ori and Dori. "Help him sit down!" She pulled her hair back and out of her face as Dori did as told, lowering Ori to the ground. The entire Company stopped and watched as Davina knelt in front of him, hovering her hand over his ankle. In the dark of night, the golden swirls appearing on Davina's skin seemed to shine even brighter than before – especially because healing Ori's sprained ankle took more energy from her than healing the minor cut she's bestowed upon Dwalin the first night they met.

Thorin watched in awe; while the others had gotten a glimpse of Davina's power that first night in Bag End, he hadn't been there to witness. This was his first time seeing her Heal, and he was completely awestruck by her power.

Soon enough, Davina straightened back up and helped Ori to his feet. Everyone held their breath as they watched him test his ankle; when he gave a relieved smile and Dori thanked Davina, they all knew it had worked. Davina made her way back to her spot between Bofur and Fili as the Company began moving again. "Hold on!" Thorin shouted as the path grew narrower and the weather grew worse. Davina gripped Fili's back tighter than she had before; Healing Ori's ankle had taken some of her energy away, and she wasn't as well-balanced or quick on her feet as before.