Chapter 20

Davina sprung to her feet almost instantly, ignoring the dizziness that blurred her vision from moving so fast as she flipped over the coffee table on one of the orcs trying to attack Oin. "How many are there?!" She shouted, grabbing a large piece of wood from the broken table and shoving it into another orc's stomach.

"Hard to say!" Fili called out as he grappled with another. "Two dozen, maybe -- they're coming from all sides!"

"There's no way we can fight them all off!" Oin grunted as he threw a handful of plates at some of them. "We've got no weapons -- we sent them with the rest of the Company!"

Davina didn't have time to respond, as one of the orcs had decided to take advantage of Kili's helpless state and try to attack him. She flung herself at the orc, the two of them tumbling to the ground and wrestling with each other as Davina tried to keep its sword from impaling her. She was just beginning to think she'd lose this fight when out of nowhere, a frying pan appeared and hit the orc on the side of the head. It grumbled something unintelligible and slumped off of her, unconscious from the blow. She propped herself up on her elbows to see that Kili had made himself sit up, the frying pan that had been set next to him holding Bard's herbs gone.

He had saved her life.

She only wished that she could save his.

"Davina, look out!" Fili shouted, and the Nymali rolled out of the way just in time to avoid being hit by an orc's mace. He yanked it out of the ground and swung it at her repeatedly, causing the woman to shuffle backward on the ground to avoid the blow. Just when he almost had her cornered, an arrow struck him through the back of the throat.

Davina pried the mace out of the dead orc's grasp, seeing that Tauriel had appeared in the doorway and had been the one to save her life. As the fight went on, Legolas dropped through a hole in the roof and began to fight with them, too. Davina wasn't quite sure what had spurred them to leave Mirkwood and aid them, but she was thankful for it nevertheless. If it weren't for them, she and the dwarfs would have probably lost this fight.

It didn't take long for the orcs to be defeated, leaving them all a very brief moment's of peace as they caught their breath. Bain appeared in the doorway then, having been hiding outside the house since he returned and saw the fight happening inside. He had just finished putting the black arrow in a safe spot and was coming back to tell Davina that his father had been arrested, but seeing the ensuing battle, he knew hiding was his best bet. "You killed them all," he breathed, his eyes wide in surprise as he looked at Davina, the dwarfs, and the two unfamiliar elves.

"There are others," Legolas said, exchanging a look with Davina before heading for the door as Bain moved out of the way. "Tauriel. Come."

A grunt from Kili's lips caused the elvish woman to pause in her tracks, seeing Davina rush over and drop to her knees at the dwarf's side along with Oin. "We're losing him," she said, looking up at Tauriel and Legolas with pleading eyes.

The blonde stared at her for a long moment, then turned away. Although he considered Davina a friend, he held no concern for the dwarf that had somehow captured Tauriel's affection. "Tauriel," he repeated, turning to leave.

This pissed the Nymali off. "Have you no heart, Legolas?" She demanded, her hands bloody from the bandages on Kili's leg that had long since soaked through. "Or will you turn away once again, just like your father did all those years ago?" Legolas said nothing as he walked out of the door, pretending like he hadn't even heard the words that escaped from her mouth. Davina turned to Tauriel then, knowing she was Kili's only hope. "Tauriel, please. You care for him, I know you do. Please... don't let him die."

The elleth stopped in her position in the open doorway, her gaze shifting towards her retreating friend as he killed a few remaining orcs on his way. Davina was right, she knew she was, and when Bofur came running up the steps holding a familiar herb in his hands, Tauriel knew what she had to do. "Athelas," she breathed, taking them from him.