Nineteen

"B!" Don called out from the bathroom where he was showering. Rolling over and pulling the cover over my head more, I pretended not to hear him. I was tired as ever due to the fact Don had dragged me out to a nightclub where we met up with his god-brother and god-sister who were in town. We didn't even get to bed until four and he wants to wake up bright and early. "Lashae, did you not hear me calling you?". I felt him nudge my body but I wouldn't move. I just wanted him to leave me alone.

"Baby, get up. Can you cook me breakfast?" Feeling the cover lift up, I shivered a little at the gush of cold air Don had let in. "Put that cover back on me before this becomes your last day on earth." I spoke into the pillow. He chuckled before pushing me gently on my back. "Make me breakfast before you kill me then." he whispered crawling on top of me and biting my exposed shoulder. He knew what he was doing from biting me there. "Stop." I told him placing my hand on his chest so he wouldn't kiss me. His face scrunched up. "Did I do something? You never deny my kisses." "It's not that, I just didn't brush my teeth yet." "I can tolerate your morning breath. Now gimme some." He puckered his lips making me giggle as I pecked his. "More." he demanded as he softly bit my bottom lip before I gave him a full on kiss.

"Now about feeding me" I poked my head out the shower and looked at Don like he was crazy. "You already woke me up earlier than I needed to be today and now you want me to cook? No." I went back to rinsing the soap from my body before I jumped from the cold water that suddenly hit me. Turning the water off, I heard Don laughing like things were funny. "You need to grow the hell up, flushing toilets while people in the shower and shit." I said coming into the room.

"Baby...baby...Britniii." Ignoring him I dressed in sweats and a beater. I felt his presence behind me as I was searching for my pink and green leopard print socks. "Where are my socks at Don?" I asked turning around to face him. "What socks?" He put his hand on his head trying to play dumb. "My pink and green socks you kept eyeballing talking about 'baby let me cop these from you. They go with my sneakers I'm dying to wear.' Ring any bells?" "Nope no bells ringing here." he smiled. "Move ya lying ass out my way." I said pushing past him and out of the bedroom.

"You mad over some socks that you lost?" "No, socks that you took out of my drawer and put your big ass feet in. I done told you to stop doing that. You always take my socks and beaters like you don't have your own." I snapped while scrambling eggs. "Alright I wore them, damn. You ain't gotta snap on me B." "I do because you never listen. And on top of that, when your friends come over, they eat my entire snack cabinet, it's really annoying. The first time cool. Second and third was the last time. And you don't clean up after yourself Don," I placed the plate of bacon, eggs and toast in front of him before going to pull the orange juice from the fridge. "I don't mind cleaning up and all but you don't bother to help me. We both live here and sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who cares about the upkeep of this place." I looked at him as he was leaned back, sipping on the juice staring at me over the rim of the glass. I shook my head realizing he wasn't going to say anything.

"You mad at me?" he asked snaking his arms around my waist as I stood at the sink washing dishes. "No." I wasn't mad, I was frustrated. It was like as soon as we entered this relationship three months ago, he stopped doing everything that he did to get me. I was beginning to think that living with him was a mistake now. Living together was way different than when we weren't together. My mom always told me to never shack up with a man because everything in him could change and there's chance what you have won't progress. I never did until now and I couldn't handle it.

"Well why'd you just air all that out to me if you ain't mad?" "Because you needed to know how I felt. I wasn't going to bottle my feelings up any longer, it's called communication." "So, let's talk then. You got anything else to say?" he wondered folding his arms over his chest. "Yeah, I think I need to move out. Get my own place because right now, us living together is not working out for me." I told him honestly. "Whatever Britni, I gotta go. I'll see you tonight and we can talk about this then." And he walked out. No kiss and no hug. What was going on here? I thought as I rinsed the last dish and headed back upstairs.