Thirty Six

When I woke up only my mom was in the room with me. "It's about time you woke up. How you feeling?" She asked smoothing my hair back. "I'm tired. Where's my baby?" I wondered. I wanted to see him and hold him. "He's in the nursery, I'll page the nurse so that she can bring him in."

I was nervous to see him or hold him. My stomach started doing flips and all. I had never held a baby unless they were like eight or nine months. "Stop fidgeting sweetie." My mom popped my hand. "What if he cries when I touch him? Or I drop him?" "Shut the hell up Britni you sound stupid."

"You don't have to be so mean." Before she could say anything back, the nurse was in with my son. "Here he is." She said placing him in my arms. "He should be ready to eat in a little while. When the time comes, I'll be back to show you how to properly breast feed."

Good because I'll be damned if they give my baby some milk that didn't come from me. I would have to turn this hospital out.

I looked down and just stared at baby Adonis. He was really light in color. I looked up and over at my mom. "He will get some color to his skin, he was just born four hours ago." She answered my unasked question.

"Hi Mommy's baby." I whispered while tracing his puffy cheeks. He continued to lay there unmoved and sleeping. "Mom, how much did he weigh and how long is he? I was so exhausted I couldn't stay awake after he popped out." He had to weigh a lot because I packed on pounds during the pregnancy and he just about killed my vagina.

"Eight pounds, six ounces and nineteen inches long." She said while yawning. "Mommy go home because I don't want you in here yawning around my baby spreading your germs." I held my hand up. "I'm about to go. Don should be back soon." She stood to leave and Junior woke up and started whining. My eyes went wide and I looked at my mom.

"He's hungry." Instead of the nurse coming to show me my mom did it. As soon as his mouth latched onto my nipple he went to work. It felt weird and a bit painful. "When you come home, I'll come by everyday for a week and help you out with my grandson. I can't believe I'm a grandmom." She shook her head.

"I can't believe I'm a mom." I said as my mom let a snort out. "Me either all your life you swore you were never having kids and then that damn nappy headed Adonis comes along and you're in a whole relationship and pregnant. I'm ready to start the wedding planning."

"Can I enjoy motherhood before planning a wedding? He hasn't even asked me to marry him and I doubt that he will anytime soon." My eyes rolled and I looked down to see that Junior was back to sleep but still latched on to my nipple. I removed him and his eyes popped open. It was then that I decided to take in his features so far.

He was really chubby like a cabbage patch doll and his hair seemed as if it would turn out curly and thick once it started to grow. I wouldn't dare say that he had a head full of hair he was just born for crying out loud. His lips were pouty sort of like mine and his nose was shaped like his father's.

What really got me was his eyes. They were almond shaped like mine but looked to be some type of blue-gray color. "Mommy, who has eyes this color or did they not get to their true color yet?" She peered over at Junior. "That's his color but nobody in our family has eyes like that."

A few minutes later Don came walking in with food. "I come bearing gifts." He said before leaning down to kiss me. I snatched the food up as Junior was in his little bassinet that the hospital offers. Don had french toast, bacon and eggs and he already had it drowned in syrup for me. "I'm leaving you two. I'll be up here later." My mom spoke before walking out the door.

The nurse came in because according to them it was changing time. I smiled as I watched Don change the diaper. He was going to be great at this. "You can stop staring at me." Don said while he held the baby in his arms. I just rolled them once and continued to stare at him. "He looks like me, don't he?" "Don, let him live a few days on this earth before you throw your ugly looks on my son. Plus it's too early to determine."