Thirty

Thanks to the morning traffic on the expressway, it wasn't until nine thirty that I was pulling into my parents driveway. I could see Alayna sitting in the picture window watching for me. Once she noticed my car, she disappeared from the window. It didn't take a rocket scientist to know that she was on her way to the front door.

"Sissy, you have to hurry up! It's cold out here!" She yelled at me from the porch. "Then take your hyper ass back in the house." I called out. "Daddy! Britni is cursing at me!"

Little snitch. I grabbed her quickly before she could run. "Stop snitching or I'll have to hurt you." "And she's threatening me- ow!" She frowned as I laughed popping the back of her head.

"You remember who's taking care of you for the next three days you little brat." She just stuck her tongue out at me and ran off. "What are you doing to my baby?" My dad asked as I rounded the corner of the living room. "Nothing. Hey Daddy, I'm fine. Thanks for asking." I sarcastically respond.

"I didn't ask but thanks for letting me know. Get over here so I can speak to my grandson." After unzipping my coat I walked over to where my dad sat. He started moving my stomach with his hands making me giggle.

"Daddy don't do that because it tickles." He ignored me and kept at it. "Hey little man, wake your ass up." Stepping away, I hit him with a pillow. "Don't curse at him. And he is awake."

"I cursed at you all the time." He laughed. "Yeah and now I can't stop cursing." I said while claiming his lap as a seat. "Britni don't you think you're too old to sit on my lap? You're pushing 24 and a soon to be mother." Making myself comfortable, I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"I'm still your baby though. Treat me like it." I whined. "No. But since we are on the subject about you being a baby..." he trailed off. "Go on." I pushed. "After your birthday, I'm cutting you off financially." I had heard him but I didn't say anything. Him saying this didn't upset me.

"That means you pay for your own shit now. No more payments on your apartment, student loans, no more spending money. It's all on you, I can't take care of you all your life. Plus I know that you have enough to do so and some."

"I understand. But to keep it one hundred, every time you gave me money I never used it. It's all in my savings even the money that you sent while I was in college. That's in there too." I told him honestly. "May I ask why?"

"Well after the falling out we had when I was in college but you continued sending me cash and such, I just placed it there. So didn't want anything from you; I didn't want it because I was supporting myself."

"Doing?" He questioned. "Daddy, cut the bullshit. You know everything so I know that you know how I got money." I huffed. "One, curse again and I'll whoop you. Pregnant and all. Two, I don't know how or else I wouldn't be asking and three you better tell me." He pinched my thigh.

"Promise you won't tell Mommy?" I said. "Even though it's in the past, you know how she is. The whole family will know even the ones who are dead and gone!" That got a laugh out of him. "I promise."

"Three words. Diamonds of Atlanta." I eyeballed him waiting on his reaction. "Diamonds of Atlanta...I know that place." He looked lost in thought and it hit him. "Ah hell, Britni James! A stripper?"

"Well Daddy I prefer the term exotic dancer. Not once did I have to come out of my clothes so a stripper I was not. But enough of this, now you know." I kissed his cheek and stood up. "Me and the brat are out this joint, you can come pick her up Sunday afternoon. Preferably a little after noon, my man is coming back."

"So Lay, we haven't seen much of each other lately. What you been doing besides being bratty?" I asked my sister as we ate our food. "Nothing." Her response was short and sweet which was unlike her so I knew something was up. "You can talk to me, tell me what's the matter."