T W E N T Y - E I G H T

It had been a few days since Justin had showed me a side to him that I had never knew he had.

I quickly pushed it to the back of my mind when I stood beside Justin in Elena's office. My hand shook in his.

This woman would be able to tell me whether or not I had the blood to become a vampire or if I had some sort of antidote that was rare.

So many things ran through my mind at this very moment and I was hoping I would get good news or find something out that could change my life.

I needed to know who I was.

Or, what I was...?

I shook my thoughts away as the elderly woman sat at her cherry wood desk. It had scratches upon scratches but appeared to be freshly waxed. She flipped through a page in a book before grabbing another.

My eyes scanned her office. There were books everywhere along with glass bottles and containers filled with liquids of different colors that sparkled in the sunlight coming from the big window behind her.

"I need the young lady to give me her hand." Elena suddenly spoke out.

My heart rate sped up and I nodded. Justin stayed quiet as I walked closer to her now standing figure beside the desk.

I swallowed back my hesitation and held out my hand for her to take.

Elena's cool fingers grasped my wrist and she yanked it towards her for closer inspection.

She pushed her round oversized glasses up the bridge of her nose before grabbing a small knife and slicing it across my palm.

I winced in pain and gasped at the sudden sensation.

I could feel tears welling in my eyes.

"What exactly are you doing?" Justin spoke out and I felt his fingertips touch the small of my back.

"I need to test her blood." Elena said. She tipped my hand over and drained the blood into a small glass container.

Justin bit his lip and stared at the blood dripping from my hand. He inhaled sharply and turned away in search of something else.

Elena ran her fingers over my hand while reciting words in another language. I watched as the gash in my hand began healing right before my eyes.

My jaw dropped.

She let my hand go and my eyes searched it as if I would find the cut again but it had fully disappeared. I rubbed it before leaving it at my side and watching Elena prepare my blood. She grabbed a book and her eyes read each line.

I looked away from her to find Justin reaching his fingertips out to touch each spine of the books held in one of the many bookshelves Elena had in her office.

"Are you okay?" I asked him as I walked up behind him.

"Why wouldn't I be?" He questioned. He turned to me to give me a small smile." And anyways, shouldn't I be the one asking you that?"

I let out a small laugh and nodded, tucking strands of hair behind my ear."Maybe."

We smiled at each other.