Chapter 9

Jessie's POV

I glanced around the hallway and carefully followed Zayn down the creaky stairs. I gulped quietly and tried to relax despite the fact that it felt like they'd cave in underneath my and Zayn's weight. When we reached the bottom I let out a sigh of relief and hugged Harry's clothing closer to my chest. Subconsciously, I inhaled his scent and smiled a bit to myself. However, then I left myself confused at my own actions, but I just pushed it away. I had to much to deal with right now.

Zayn walked toward the kitchen with me on his heels, and once there he leaned down and began to riffle through the plastic bags that cluttered the old kitchen tiles. Finally, he found a bag that looked to be filled with toiletries. "I hope you don't mind, but we bought you some bathroom and girly things." He said softly as he looked the bag for the items he desired.

I raised an eyebrow. "What bathroom and girly things?" I asked with slight hesitation.

He chuckled and glanced up at me. "Things for your girly time. Which that includes tampons and paracetamol. Then we went a head and bought you a hair brush, tooth brush, your own toothpaste, and a bit of make up just in case you'd want that." He shrugged.

I blushed a bit as he mentioned things for my time of the month, but I didn't linger on the thought for long. "Thanks." I said softly.

He nodded with a soft smile before slowly pulling out two bottles from a bag. "I also made the lads buy you your own shampoo and conditioner." He chuckled a bit to himself. "My sisters used to throw hell if they had to use the same hair things as me since it didn't smell fruity."

I laughed quietly. "Again, thanks." I responded with a half nod. However, now I was beginning to wonder what Zayn's life story was and why he was involved in this whole situation. He seemed like such a normal guy and not at all like I assumed him to be. I almost felt as comfortable with him as I did with Louis and Niall. So that just left Liam and Harry for me to get used despite the fact that the both of them still frighten me to my core.

"No problem." He straightened his back and held out the bottles to me. Both of the shampoo and conditioner were scented with oranges and I smiled. "Hope you like the smell and aren't allergic to it. I heard you tell Harry that you're allergic to peanut butter..so I figured I'd better be safe than sorry to ask before you used it."

I blinked and laughed again. "Zayn, just because I'm allergic to peanut butter doesn't mean I'm allergic to everything."

He shrugged. "As I said, better safe than sorry. Now come on." He led me toward a door that almost looked to kicked in to use, but somehow he managed to open it without difficulty.

I shivered slightly as a burst of cool air surrounded me and I let out a long breath. This wasn't the first time I'd breathed in fresh air after coming here, but it was the first time I felt more free while doing it. I followed Zayn through a large grassy field and chewed on my lip. I began to wonder who used to run around these vast and spacious grasslands whenever this house was actually in use. Were there children or not? The house seemed like it might have been beautiful, and I knew instantly whoever used to live there must have had a large family. And I also knew that if there was children they would have loved running along these grassy areas.

"The pond is just over this hill." Zayn said softly and gently took forearm in his grasp.

I chewed on my lip. "I'm not going to run. You don't have to hold onto me." I said in a small voice.

"Better safe than sorry." He mumbled under his breath and stared forward. "And there's a lot of things to be tripped over up this hill. I don't want you tripping and falling onto a branch or glass and end up cutting yourself." He gently explained.