Chapter 24

Jessie's POV

I was sitting on the rock near the lake I had to bathe in while I tried to collect my thoughts. Everything seemed to have been spiraling more and more out of control, and I wasn't sure how much more I could take. Harry had been unresponsive to everything that I had tried with him to make his dominate alter ego go away. He was yet to beat him, and that was what was really making things complicated.

My head moved from side to side as I sighed quietly and played with my fingers. I lifted my gaze and narrowed it slightly as if to see further into the water filled area. Soon enough I realized that no one was in sight, and that the person that took me here to wash up was missing.

"Zayn?" I called out in confusion as I slowly lifted myself off the rock. After I finished cleaning myself up, he had asked me to wait on the rock for him to wash as well, but now he was gone.

I looked around and my eyes widened as I saw a great deal of smoke in the direction of the big house. My head shook back and forth once again in disbelief. No. This couldn't be happening. Before I could stop myself I began to run at full speed toward the house despite the fact that I didn't know the exact path back and I would most likely end up falling flat on my face.

"Please..please..say they're being stupid and having a bonfire.." I whispered to myself through pants. I clicked my dry chapped lips as I continued to make my way through the dense forest.

Despite the fact that I was continuing to hope for the bonfire and not something horrible that was happening, I knew it had to be the latter. Zayn wouldn't leave me out here alone unless something horrible was happening. If he left by his own choice, that is.

I skidded to a stop and panted softly as I leaned against a tree, but I wrinkled my nose slightly as my hand came in contact with something sticky. I pulled my hand away from a bush expecting it to be some kind of tree sap. My face paled slightly as I was met with a red stick substance that I knew instantly had to be blood.

I balled my hand into a fist and squeezed my eyes tightly shut. "No..calm down, Jessie. It's just animal blood. Not human. And even it did belong to a human being it's not one of the boys." I whispered to myself reassuringly before I wiped the blood onto my jeans.

My feet traveled faster down a hill and I tried to maintain my balance as the last thing I needed was to fall flat onto my face then roll down to the grassy fields. I gritted my teeth as my ankle popped and began to hurt as I continued the rapid movement of my feet. The ache most likely meant that I had sprained it, but I didn't care. All I wanted to do was make sure nothing horrible happened.

Suddenly I managed to scramble out of the weeds and into the flat clearing of grassy fields. My breath caught in my throat as I stared at the large beautiful older house that was now in flames. The flames licked the sides of the house and had consumed the entire structure.

"No!" I screamed as loud as I could and tried to run toward the house, but my foot caught on something and I lost my balance. I fell on my knees and began to sob quietly as I shook my head. "No..they couldn't have...they got out. They had to..." I whispered to myself and dug my nails into the ground before I pulled myself up.

I wiped my eyes, not caring about the dirt I managed to smudge on my face, and hurried to the house, but I tried to maintain a distance from the horrible dark orange flames. I looked around in a desperate attempt to catch any movement of a human being, but I found none. My heart began to sink out of fear. What was I going to do?

"Jessie.." A voice moaned out in pain from a few feet away from me.

I looked around the fields and my eyes widened. "Oh my god..Louis.." I whispered in disbelief and ran over to his form. My breath caught in my throat in a sob as I saw the blood, and the stab wounds from beneath his ripped clothing. "Who did this to you?"